189? mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tdwelding

189? mosin

Post by tdwelding »

Hello - Looking for information and or purchase a 189? Mosin nagant similar to what I had when I was much younger. It was purchased for me through SEARS ROBUCK and came from an company in ALEXANDRIA VA It had a hex receiver with a date 189?. not sure of exact date. It also had a small hammer & sickle stamp on it.
etprescottazusa91

Re: 189? mosin

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

tdwelding wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 am Hello - Looking for information and or purchase a 189? Mosin nagant similar to what I had when I was much younger. It was purchased for me through SEARS ROBUCK and came from an company in ALEXANDRIA VA It had a hex receiver with a date 189?. not sure of exact date. It also had a small hammer & sickle stamp on it.
The rifle you had was most likely imported to the U.S. from Spain, one of the rifles supplied to the Spanish Republic by the Soviets during the Spanish Civil war 1936-39 Doctor Zhivago was filmed in Spain for example, only a few places on earth at the time with an abundance of non communist Mosin rifles where a movie could be shot. The Soviet markings are telling me it's not a former Remington or Westinghouse rifle.

The Mosin rifles imported into the U.S. at the end of the Cold War are probably better rifles than the rifle sold by Sears years ago. There are a lot and I mean a bunch of Model 91 and Model 91/30 Mosin Nagant rifles out there for sale that will be very much like your old rifle.
:2cents:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Was the wood chopped down on it, and possibly the barrel as well? Sears and Montgomery Wards, etc used to sell commercially sportered Mosin rifles. They were sometimes called "Finn Cubs". Collectibility on these is very small due to the fact that they were altered.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

millman wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:26 pm Was the wood chopped down on it, and possibly the barrel as well? Sears and Montgomery Wards, etc used to sell commercially sportered Mosin rifles. They were sometimes called "Finn Cubs". Collectibility on these is very small due to the fact that they were altered.
There has been several of those Cubs for sale lately, just barrel and receiver, mostly old hex's.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Maybe take a look here (app.php/page/99) and see if something looks familiar. Was the 189x on the barrel or on the tang of the receiver? The hammer and sickle would be a bit out of time on an Imperial era Mosin. I guess they could have come back around and stamped one on there if it was being refurbished but I don't recall seeing many, if any like that. Others here have certainly seen far more than I have. If the 189x date was stamped on the tang, then the barrel could have been a later Soviet era replacement (or by Spain or Finland)..
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

tdwelding wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:24 am Hello - Looking for information and or purchase a 189? Mosin nagant similar to what I had when I was much younger. It was purchased for me through SEARS ROEBUCK and came from an company in ALEXANDRIA VA It had a hex receiver with a date 189?. not sure of exact date. It also had a small hammer & sickle stamp on it.
About what year was your rifle purchased from Sears, for you? Simple to review what rifles were marketed by Sears knowing about when your rifle was sold.

I spent too much time over the weekend looking at old catalog adds for rifles researching this, everyone knows those days have come and gone so no need to depress anyone with pics of old adds.

The cub rifles were all sold after WWI so probably not a Finn Cub though would like to know if the Sears rifle in question was sporterized?

Capture finn cub.JPG
Capture Catelog Mosin 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933