Old Solingen steel.

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
steelbuttplate

Old Solingen steel.

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've been getting these knife blanks from a closed Solingen factory stock. This is my first Made into a 3&3/4 " skinner. I'm getting brown basket weave scabbards for them. Some of the hardest steel I've ever filed, but it will cut with a good file, then ceramic or diamond, then leather strap for a fine edge. Will it stay sharp ??? I'll let you know. :shifty:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Old Solingen steel.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice work.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

steelbuttplate wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:47 pm I've been getting these knife blanks from a closed Solingen factory stock. This is my first Made into a 3&3/4 " skinner. I'm getting brown basket weave scabbards for them. Some of the hardest steel I've ever filed, but it will cut with a good file, then ceramic or diamond, then leather strap for a fine edge. Will it stay sharp ??? I'll let you know. :shifty:
My Grandpa was Crawford Brown, early 20th century logger, then tobacco farmer, raised hogs, chickens, coon dogs, and 7 kids during the depression. He was well known for having a foot powered grind stone, files, whet stones and could sharpen anything from a pocket knife to a bush hog blade. People came from all parts to get tools sharpened.
I'm calling my handmade skinners "the Crawford Brown series". I may start mass production soon, there's these twin girls came up here from Fla. with the mass hoard that has invaded these mountains. They are looking to apprentice at "something cool". Do you know these girls Steve ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

These are the 2" blade ladies purse knives, full tang, naturally sheathed. Also Solingen, they could shave their legs with these. This is the exact blade as the German boot knife bringback I gave my son a while back. My uncle Bill Fry (P.O.W. Belgium) gave it to me. These are A bad weapon on both ends.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Beautiful knives!! Great work!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill