Install a bayonet lug on an M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Rich32501

Install a bayonet lug on an M44

Post by Rich32501 »

I picked up a 1944 M44 arsenal rebuild for cheap because the bayonet lug had been removed. Looks like they cut off the sight portion and put it back on. I hear it's a nightmare to take the lug off let alone reinstall. The rifle is otherwise in pretty nice shape and shoots well. I'm thinking about finding a lug and returning it to original configuration. Any advice or threads you can point me too? Thanks!
Ironnewt

Re: Install a bayonet lug on an M44

Post by Ironnewt »

Personally it sounds like a lot of work for limited returns. I think I would use it as a shooter/truck gun and try and find a unmolested M44.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This operation entails putting heat to the barrel as these sights are soldered on. This is an operation that should only be attempted by an experienced gunsmith who has a clear understanding of metallurgy and heat treatment. Keep it as is, none of the M38's can mount a bayonet either, and they are perfectly good carbines without bayonets.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'm not for certain that the entire bayonet lug/sight base is soldered on or not, I do know that it is pinned in place however. You would probably end up having to carefully dremel off the one currently on it, and I'd be surprised if you could find one that someone managed to remove.
Rich32501

Post by Rich32501 »

Well, decided what the hell and I gave it a stab. Once I knocked out the pin, the chopped sight came off undamaged with a few firm whacks. Here's what I have now. I think the challenge will be installing the new lug straight and lining up new pins. I can always put the old chopped sight back on I guess. Wish me luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If your set on trying this, try putting the barrel in the freezer a couple hours first, and heat the bayonet lug a bit. Oil the barrel too.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rich32501

Post by Rich32501 »

Well you guys (and the rest of the internet) got in my head over this. It seemed straightforward to me and I came loaded for bear. A few taps on. A tap to line the pins up. All over in 90 secs. No torch or headaches.$66 in Ebay parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Rich32501 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:55 pm Well you guys (and the rest of the internet) got in my head over this. It seemed straightforward to me and I came loaded for bear. A few taps on. A tap to line the pins up. All over in 90 secs. No torch or headaches.$66 in Ebay parts.
:bonk: :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Good deal, sometimes they are a bear, then you prepare for the worse, and it literally just falls off too damn easy and you wonder what you did wrong.

Glad it was an easy one, and went well for you.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Nice job and congratulations on getting it done.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Very good job. It looks great
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Glad to be proven wrong. Congrats on the good work.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Bravo! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:furious: Get 'er Done.
Ponder_Md

Post by Ponder_Md »

Great job! Where'd you buy the bayonet lug?
Srupidhaircuts

Post by Srupidhaircuts »

Always nice when things go smooth. Good work 👏
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It does look great. Ignore the PM I sent you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Glad that worked out for you. I would have had bad luck with something like this.
Mosin Fanboy
drmesser

Post by drmesser »

Well I'm glad you got it done. I too have the same task ahead of me, as well as the rear sight base. Did freeze the barrel and heat the lug or did it not need it? I removed the rear sight and installed another one slightly crooked. So have to remove. I would love to take it to an experienced gunsmith, but none within driving range of me.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk