“Chernobyl” (TV Series) Mosin Sighting!!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Earl Burlin

“Chernobyl” (TV Series) Mosin Sighting!!

Post by Earl Burlin »

Friends, comrades, hello and good afternoon. :thumbsup:

Guys, I have been watching the new HBO miniseries titled “Chernobyl”, about the horrific 1986 nuclear power plant disaster in the Soviet Union. Well guys, SPOILERS, but in episode 4 there are many MOSIN NAGANT rifles!!!

They were being used by the “liquidators”, teams of Soviets sent to the radiation zone to euthanize irradiated animals to prevent spread of mutated genes through the creatures offspring. I have NO IDEA if Mosins were actually used for such, but this was certainly a real task performed after the disaster, and it would seem surplus Mosins would make an ideal rifle for the task given the location. There are some AWESOME scenes of loading from stripper clips and shooting the Mosins at the sadly irradiated animals. Not for the faint of heart, but this is the highest profile depiction of Mosins I can remember in years. ,y heart soared to see these guns on screen in such a wonderful production!

And guys, this is currently the HIGHEST RATED SHOW OF ALL TIME on IMDB. It’s a gem and one for the books. Worth a watch, and the Mosin scenes are icing on the cake!!

Just figured by fellow Mosin comrades would love to see it!! Take care all!!

-Earl
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: “Chernobyl” (TV Series) Mosin Sighting!!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, they would have been used for such. I have seen footage of Russian game wardens using M44's in more recent times. We didn't get the full story of what was going on while it was happening. We knew the basics, plant meltdown, radiation, evacuations, some seriously bad shit. The how's and why's would come later. Interesting subject for a series TV show.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I’ve watched a few episodes. Haven’t gotten as far as the Mosin scenes yet. Wife has it recorded on the satellite receiver. Bad shit happened there.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Snayperskaya

Post by Snayperskaya »

Here in the UK sheep on 10,000 upland hill farms in the North of England, Wales and Cumbria in particular were irradiated and restrictions were placed on the movement of animals and before farmers could sell livestock, the animals' radiation levels had to be monitored. If they were above a certain level, the sheep were moved to another area and the levels had to subside before they could be sold and consumed.

These restrictions weren't lifted until the 1st of June 2012

God knows what the long term effects in places much closer to Chernobyl such as Poland and Belarus etc must be.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Great info and great screen capture Earl, thanks for posting. I've read a lot about the disaster but haven't seen this movie yet.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

I’m sure it was perfectly safe ror the liquidators to go in there. Soviet OSHA approved.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I saw that the other day. I also like the homemade lead "egg basket" they are wearing while walking around the area. I guess they were afraid of radiation hitting some of their more tender places.

The amount of land ruined by Chernobyl was considerable.
http://chernobylplace.com/chernobyl-map/

You can take tours now. I think I'll pass.
https://chernobyl-tour.com/english/
dangeo69

Post by dangeo69 »

Better check my Mosin’s with the old Geiger counter
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

dangeo69 wrote:Better check my Mosin’s with the old Geiger counter
I was thinking that but didn’t say it. I wonder if any arsenal sold some from this tragedy? Imagine what that’d fetch on GunBroker?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
mproko

Post by mproko »

Great show all the way around. Worth watching for sure. It made perfect sense to me they’d use these instead of standard issue at that point. My wife’s godfather was in the navy way past the time the Garand was issued. They still used those to qualify when they had to.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

dangeo69 wrote:Better check my Mosin’s with the old Geiger counter
I've got one that picks up AM radio when the moon is full. Sometimes a little smoke comes out the barrel. The dogs growl at it. :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

mproko wrote:Great show all the way around. Worth watching for sure. It made perfect sense to me they’d use these instead of standard issue at that point. My wife’s godfather was in the navy way past the time the Garand was issued. They still used those to qualify when they had to.
Friend of mine was issued the M1 in Navy boot back in '86.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt