Cracks in barrel hood

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

Cracks in barrel hood

Post by awalker1829 »

Just noticed cracking in the barrel hood of my 1927 M1911A1 Colt Government Model. Barrel is probably the original one. Another crack appears to be propagating on the other side of the hood (discovered after stripping the gun for additional inspection).

Located another barrel on eBay that is a Colt Government Model commercial which is in the white. Bid on it and will use it to replace this one.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cracks in barrel hood

Post by Longcolt44 »

Firing to many hot loads too fast will do that.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Longcolt44 wrote:Firing to many hot loads too fast will do that.
Actually, the loads I’ve been running through it were all median hand loads. Nowhere near hot. However I have reason to believe that this is the original barrel. Given the fact that the serial number dates the gun to 1927, it’s possible that it could have had hot loads in the past. Barrel I’m bidding on is in the white, so it won’t look out of place.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Oh, come on, show us the rest of the 1911.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I’ll do that when I get home. Takes me all of ten minutes to walk from home to the office.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Okay. Here are the photos.

Serial number on the slide and frame match. Year of manufacture is 1927. This was my paternal grandfathers sidearm as an officer in the US Naval Reserves in WWII. That being his situation, it may have been a private purchase as I do not believe that the Naval Reserve issued sidearms at the time he signed on.
Robertroadking

Post by Robertroadking »

10 minutes? It ain’t work without a two hour commute.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Robertroadking wrote:10 minutes? It ain’t work without a two hour commute.
Fuck that. I have about 10 mins as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Takes me less than ten minutes if I walk fast. New barrel will arrive in a few days.