Impressed with 7.62 Tokarev

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
m1guy

Impressed with 7.62 Tokarev

Post by m1guy »

I decided that I needed an M57 pistol, recently. So, I got one a while back. Its nothing special. Its an import with the hokey add-on safety that looks like I could have done almost as good of a job with nothing but my belt sander, but that's another story. It shoots fine. I like it.

I had never owned anything in 7.62 tokarev or even fired the round before. But, I will say that it surprised me. I didn't expect to be able to tell any difference between it and any of the various 9mm pistols I have fired. It is a little different. I like the necked-down pistol cartridge. It feels like a flat, fast, hard hitting round without much recoil. Great little pistol round.
Lotema

Re: Impressed with 7.62 Tokarev

Post by Lotema »

Couldn't agree more. I love the 7.62 Tokarev. You can tell it has a lot of oomph coming out of that barrel yet has such light recoil.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

7.62x25 has nearly the muzzle energy of 45ACP but only about the same recoil as 9mm Luger, if not a little less. That's what high velocity gets you: power without recoil. High muzzle velocity produces a fast reoil impulse that is easily absorbed by the mass of the gun.

Flat trajectory, accurate, low recoil, and high muzzle energy. The downside is it's a small bullet that tends to use it's energy to drill neat, clean little holes clear through targets rather than expend it's energy destroying the target. Hollow points help immensely.

Tokarev pistols in general are a real joy to shoot. I've shot versions of Tokerev pistols in both 7.62x25 and 9mm Luger and there is definitely a difference. The 7.62 versions have a fast and light recoil, are accurate, and shoot flat. The 9mm versions have a heavier recoil, are not as accurate, and have more trajectory.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Lotema wrote:Couldn't agree more. I love the 7.62 Tokarev. You can tell it has a lot of oomph coming out of that barrel yet has such light recoil.
Coming out of my Chinese toker the milsurp ammo make almost as deep a dent in my steel as a .30 carbine.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Muzzle velocity of the average surplus round of the 7.62X25 is about 1450 FPS, far more than the 9MM or the .45 acp.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I also like the Toks. I have a Chinese and a couple of Romanians. They are great guns. I am shooting mine in 9MM because of the cost of the Tok Ammo. All it takes is a barrel swap and it is as quick as a field strip. Nothing is lost in reliability and the magazines don't care whether they are loading 9 or 7.62. It is like having two guns in one.

I really like the design that made the most vulnerable part as quick to swap as a field strip. Mr. Browning would have liked that drop in hammer group.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Be careful with that "drop in hammer group". The relationship of the trigger in the grip to the sear and disconnector in the hammer group is critical and varies a little from gun to gun. Swapping hammer groups can cause triggers that fail to reset after a shot, triggers that slip off the sear, or triggers that don't fully disconnect from the sear when the slide is back or when the safety is engaged on the M70A and M88A. None of those are good, or safe.

So yes, the whole hammer group can be easily replaced, but some gunsmith/armorer massaging is often needed when doing that.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I'm a big 7.62 Tokarev fan too. Just a hell of a good round!
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Ed55fl

Post by Ed55fl »

Great round Like with my CZ-52
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Yosemite wrote:Century was selling brand new M57's a while ago.
Several stores have Romanians suddenly. Aim , Classic. maybe more. good price.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"