is it authentic?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: is it authentic?

Post by Darryl »

reiver wrote:From what I've read there are no hard/fast 'rules' for arsenal refurbed matchings...some auto pen...some stamped mounts etc....all of which can be replicated.
Everything that came out of an arsenal (and witha known history) has electro pencil markings on it. Except Tulas. Some of Tulas were stamped in numbers so EP was not needed at the time to keep the parts all together during refurbishment.

reiver wrote:If a sniper is advertised as non refurbed that would make the authentication easier I believe....with the arsenal refurbs there is conjecture. Is that a proper statement?
Nope, there are clear things done to the PU snipers during refurbishment by the arsenals. That adds to the ability to ID them. When those thing are not there, then you have to wonder why. Also, good F***ing luck finding a non-refurbished Russina WWII sniper rifle. They are very rare and very expensive. Only ones I know of are the Yugoslavian PU snipers that were given to them by Russia after WWII. There are others like Hungarian PU snipers that were not refurbished but ... they were made post WWII. I guess there were Finn captured snipers also, but they were not PU snipers. But PE and PEM. I suppose there were a very few that came out of Vietnam also..
reiver

Post by reiver »

"Everything that came out of an arsenal (and witha known history) has electro pencil markings on it. Except Tulas. Some of Tulas were stamped in numbers so EP was not needed at the time to keep the parts all together during refurbishment."

So that begs the point on this rifle then....I was aware of the Tula stamping but not that it was 100% hard and fast.

The scope on this Izhevsk is stamped as refurbed yet the scope mount is stamped.....should it not be auto penned? I've seen some debate as to this question.... I guess I'd like to see the back of the scope mount too for the tooling marks.

I am not being argumentative btw, I find the minutia very interesting and informative.
wawa

Re: ¿es auténtico?

Post by wawa »

Thank you all for your answers, especially to you Dolk. I am pleased, seeing the results in the shooting range at 100m, I can assure you that you have a reliable accuracy. Someday I will upload photos of a target.
thanks.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just so it is clear, I stay away from snipers as my expertise is elsewhere. I do not even own one in my collection nor do I try and guess if one is real or not at the shop if it doesn't have an R-Guns stamp.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

reiver wrote:"Everything that came out of an arsenal (and witha known history) has electro pencil markings on it. Except Tulas. Some of Tulas were stamped in numbers so EP was not needed at the time to keep the parts all together during refurbishment."

So that begs the point on this rifle then....I was aware of the Tula stamping but not that it was 100% hard and fast.

The scope on this Izhevsk is stamped as refurbed yet the scope mount is stamped.....should it not be auto penned? I've seen some debate as to this question.... I guess I'd like to see the back of the scope mount too for the tooling marks.

I am not being argumentative btw, I find the minutia very interesting and informative.
Sorry, I am on my back and off the forums till after Friday.

Dolk