First 91/30 Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Monarchengr

First 91/30 Mosin

Post by Monarchengr »

These mosins are capable of decent groupings for old surplus rifles. Two groupings attached. One is without adjusting action screws, one is with adjusting the screws. It helps I have a scout scope, can't see that far too well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reiver

Re: First 91/30 Mosin

Post by reiver »

Looks like a nice refurb...I know what you mean about the scope/eyes...me too. I enjoy my PU sniper(s) for the same reason but it does not quite have that kind of magnification.

There are little tricks the Soviets used on these rifles to enhance accuracy if that is your end state. Shimming and barrel wraps etc....plenty of info out there.

The biggest improvement for me has been reloading....the surplus is just so so...and I measure the actual bore by slugging the bore with soft lead...I shoot .311 in some and .312 in others and work up loads and COAL for each rifle...that would be tedious for some but I enjoy the process. I only neck size the brass so keep each rifles casing separate.

Statement removed for content.
LC44
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Welcome to the forum. We have no problem with scopes as long as there is no permanent unreversible work done to the rifle to mount it. Looks like you have it dialed in pretty good already.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
reiver

Post by reiver »

Reiver, see PM.
Monarchengr

Post by Monarchengr »

Thanks for the info, I have dies ordered and will see what different handloads do, may also look into shimming. These groups were with sellier and bellot factory stuff. Staying away from corrosive surplus ammo. If it maintains this kind of consistancy, it will be plenty good for ground hogs to almost 300yds.
reiver

Post by reiver »

I only use a neck sizing die....no lube required and very simple. The chamber sizes a casing every time you pull the trigger and the only reason to resize fully would be to use the rounds in different same caliber weapons. Many accuracy shooter only neck size...collet sizing...as the round will seat uniformly and cases last a lot longer ...RCB sells a collet die in this caliber.
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Wrapping the end of the barrel under the barrel band certainly works. The biggest improvement that I saw from it was having the bayonet attached or not attached no longer made a significant difference in accuracy with the barrel wrapped. The soviets used oiled cloth to wrap the barrel but I used high temperature foam rubber.

Yours already looks like it's shooting about the best groups these things can do anyway, so I'd likely just leave it alone.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool: