Classic Firearms Mosin Nagants

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
RugerNut

Classic Firearms Mosin Nagants

Post by RugerNut »

Did anyone buy a MN from CLASSIC FIREARMS today? They received a shipment of 91/30's that were water damaged. Prices were starting out at $119.99. From what I was reading, they had a nice selection, but were damaged. They have been getting in private stock collections from various places. I wonder if anyone here has sold them their private stock?
Keep an eye on them. They said they will be buying and selling more in the future!

https://youtu.be/0I7B1e-TQzU
RazorBurn

Re: Classic Firearms Mosin Nagants

Post by RazorBurn »

I half ass thought about rolling the dice on one or two of them. Then I remembered this....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

It looks like Classic is being candid about the condition of these rifles, referring to them as, "gunsmith specials." But why would anyone buy a rusted rifle for $120 with potential damage to the stock? And all of them seem to be round receiver. A buyer will put in at least that much again in time and parts. At that point ($240) one could buy a decent refurb. Pass.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

They will have sorted through them are removed any rarer or desirable rifles. You will only be getting a basic 1943 in terrible condition.
Kollaa kestää
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Last week they were bilking the public $450.00 for a Tula ex dragoon that was selling at half that in several other places. They ask and get, top prices for average guns. A good deal can be found over at Centerfire Systems if you are in the market for a Beretta 84 Cheetah 380. Depending on condition they range from $279 to $399. I did the $349 and am very pleased, will post it later this week.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

They wouldn't be charging ridiculous prices if the guns were not selling at those prices.

I think there are a lot of beginner collectors looking for the first milsurp rifle who don't really know what "normal" prices are for these rifles and fork over the money without asking around or doing their research. I think there are a lot of young people in their late teens or early twenties who are looking to buy their first gun larger than a .22lr and again, don't ask around or do their research for what is "normal" price.

I walked into a gun store I'd never been into last year and the first thing I saw inside was a group of teenagers passing around a Mosin-Nagant of some kind, pointing it out the window that I'd just walked past to enter the store, and dry firing it repeatedly. I overheard one of them say a few things about Mosin-Nagants that were TOTALLY wrong and another one of them say something about really wanting it but not having the funds right now, so he might come back. I waited for them to leave before I walked over to the clerk and asked to see it. $220 ex-Dragoon Tula refurb in October, 2017. Not cheap, but not bad. I bought it to keep it from going home with those boys or others like them. Call me judgmental, but I doubt they would have treated her right.

I'm a young guy too. I'm just a few months away from 24, but I'm not an idiot and I don't impulse buy. I know what to pay before I pay it. I researched Mosin-Nagants for weeks before I bought my first one.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

I watched the video and thought of rolling the dice . I decided to watch it again and in that time ,they sold out.
RugerNut

Post by RugerNut »

A few weeks ago they sold off a private collection in less than an hour! I haven't bought a MN since 2014 ($150). In the late 80's, early 90's, I would buy them (6) at a time just to resell them ($49.95-$99.95). I wish I had paid more attention to what I had, and kept the good ones.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Funny... I didn't see the ad. If I had, I would have rolled my eyes... First thing that comes to mind is some of the garbage (left overs) that Cabalas are trying to move at $299 a pop and higher. There's no question that Ben is a snake oil salesman. It's kind of sad that the new guys are falling for this. The last thing the new guys need are "gunsmith" specials.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

These rifles regardless of what stories they might spin are the last shot of refurbs the distributers got which had little grease and oil on them. They squirelled them away in containers thinking they would last that way as the others they had did and waited for the demand to pick up and prices to climb. Low and behold they did but when they took these rifles out of the containers (which are notoriuos leakers) they were all rusty. So they can leak all kinds of wild stories about finding new supplies from mysterious sources and try and hook you but they have been doing this for years anyway so why not continue. Several of these showed up around here at local shops and the trading owners got about $50 for them about half or much less than they paid.

Years ago I bought what we called wet box specials and because they at that time had so much grease on them there was little damage on them. With the current reappearing batch that ins't going to happen and you are getting parts rifles over ythe price you should pay. Two of the ones I saw had bores damaged by rust so keep that in mind too. Good Luck because more will be appearing for sure! Bill

PS I love the stories these shysters spin as its always good for a laugh or two!
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

i was tempted to buy one. i got into mosins very late and never got one for under $200. if i had not just bought something else i would have been tempted.

the last batch they had a few weeks ago was strange. they had pinned sights as part of some law in ukrane
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Most of the 91/30s have pinned rear sight bases. I forget which year it was made standard, but they added them to the older ones as well during refurb.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Phosphorus32

Post by Phosphorus32 »

I watched the video and decided they were still about $40 too high for my taste. If I didn't have a handful of M91/30s I may have rolled the dice on a few of them.

The only reasonable prices Classic has anymore are on their Cold War Eastern European pistol offerings.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

AMCHornet wrote:They wouldn't be charging ridiculous prices if the guns were not selling at those prices.

I think there are a lot of beginner collectors looking for the first milsurp rifle who don't really know what "normal" prices are for these rifles and fork over the money without asking around or doing their research. I think there are a lot of young people in their late teens or early twenties who are looking to buy their first gun larger than a .22lr and again, don't ask around or do their research for what is "normal" price.

I walked into a gun store I'd never been into last year and the first thing I saw inside was a group of teenagers passing around a Mosin-Nagant of some kind, pointing it out the window that I'd just walked past to enter the store, and dry firing it repeatedly. I overheard one of them say a few things about Mosin-Nagants that were TOTALLY wrong and another one of them say something about really wanting it but not having the funds right now, so he might come back. I waited for them to leave before I walked over to the clerk and asked to see it. $220 ex-Dragoon Tula refurb in October, 2017. Not cheap, but not bad. I bought it to keep it from going home with those boys or others like them. Call me judgmental, but I doubt they would have treated her right.

I'm a young guy too. I'm just a few months away from 24, but I'm not an idiot and I don't impulse buy. I know what to pay before I pay it. I researched Mosin-Nagants for weeks before I bought my first one.
That's funny as shit, you were worried about them not knowing the proper history of the rifle. I would have been beyond ballistic about the fact they pointed a weapon at me and the shithead owning the store allowed it to happen. Absolutely unacceptable behavior that I would have taken issue with at lenth. Nice save of the rifle, good price, next time someone points a weapon at you, draw your own and let them experiance what it feels like. If they piss themselves then you did it right, if they shit then you are THE MAN.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:Most of the 91/30s have pinned rear sight bases. I forget which year it was made standard, but they added them to the older ones as well during refurb.
The 91/30s that they had came from the Ukrain as "sporting rifles". The rear sights were pinned (staked) at 300 meters by Ukrainian law. All sporting rifles in the Ukraine have rear sights not over 300 meters.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:
millman wrote:Most of the 91/30s have pinned rear sight bases. I forget which year it was made standard, but they added them to the older ones as well during refurb.
The 91/30s that they had came from the Ukrain as "sporting rifles". The rear sights were pinned (staked) at 300 meters by Ukrainian law. All sporting rifles in the Ukraine have rear sights not over 300 meters.
Oh, I see. :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That's funny as shit, you were worried about them not knowing the proper history of the rifle. I would have been beyond ballistic about the fact they pointed a weapon at me and the shithead owning the store allowed it to happen. Absolutely unacceptable behavior that I would have taken issue with at lenth. Nice save of the rifle, good price, next time someone points a weapon at you, draw your own and let them experiance what it feels like. If they piss themselves then you did it right, if they shit then you are THE MAN.
Their poor ettiquite played a part in me not wanting them to have the rifle. Anybody who treats a rifle that some 16 year old boy possibly died behind while defending his country like that is not fit to own that rifle in my book. One of my old high school friends saw it sitting on display in my house and wanted to buy it, but I'm skeptical he would be any better than those boys were.

Also that is called assault with a deadly weapon and I am not interested in going to jail. :bonk:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If someone who is not Law Enforcment is pointing a weapon at you and you then do the same to them that is self defense, no ADW
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

Not after I had already passed the window and was out of danger. I wasn't aware they were pointing the muzzle out the window until after I had entered the store and looked back. By then I was no longer in imminent danger and the use of force is no longer justified unless to defend the life of another person, but that is a stretch in this situation and not one I was willing to stand in front of a jury on.