Cedar stash

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
SA1911a1

Cedar stash

Post by SA1911a1 »

I have been blending some hobbies. The cedar I salvaged from the dead tree, the wood shop and the pocket knives I have been gathering in. The Buck knife was a skeleton version that was worthless without scales. The larger trivet was dropped by my wife who was moving it while it was drying. It exploded, so that one is back to the cutting board. I have settled on an old, ragged Kabar pocket knife as a primary whittling tool. It is comfortable in the hand, it is easy to keep sharp and it seems to work for me. These are my first attempts to whittle since I was a kid and I am going to learn to do it if I have enough time left. (The bottom photo was inspired something I stepped in in the yard.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Cedar stash

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I can whittle a new point on a pencil, so long as the pencil is made out of wood.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Back when I had the patience to whittle, I always had a 3 blade German eye brand. They sharpened and held an edge the best.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I can whittle a new point on a pencil, so long as the pencil is made out of wood.
Jim, you would laugh like hell at me sharpening a pencil in my wood shop. I chock it in my battery drill and hit it on the running belt sander. Best points ever.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My wife and I went out on what we call a "junket." We went out about 70 miles working our way back in junk (antique if they are more pricey) stores. I found the coolest tool. It is a Stanley Handyman H6A. I had never seen one, and had no idea it existed. It is a small, about 18" square, but heavy all cast iron, 5" table saw with a tiny jointer, grinding wheel. It also has another attachment point that would be good for a wire wheel. It appears to have been made in 1954. I asked the lady running the store if I could plug it in to test it and she refused. I thought, what the hell, this is so cool I will take the chance for $20.00. The 1/3 hp, 6.6A motor runs more smoothly than any other shop tool I own. The only thing I really have to do to put it to work is replace the crispy cord, but I am going to take it all apart, clean it up and maybe even paint the thing, when I am through I will post up some pics.

This tool has no safety devices, it would drive an OSHA man up the wall. But hey, there weren't as many damn lawyers in 1954, and people understood that if you put your finger in a spinning saw blade you will lose a finger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The reason it's still running well is written right on it, New Britain Connecticut USA.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Glad you don't have a French whittling knife.. :lol:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

So, Sonny, I am taking it you are not a "French" Canadian?"
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I got out to the shop for a few hours to play with the new toy. I rewired the cord and switch, took apart everything that comes apart, removed the worst of the rust, and greased the shaft on the thing. That is one cool little tool, if you were building bird houses or jewelry boxes. Have any of you ever seen one before?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Damn that's what the original multi-tool looked like?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

ffuries wrote:Damn that's what the original multi-tool looked like?
That was what I was thinking, the Mother of all Shop Smiths.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

Damn. Now I have to create a new EBay search. :Drool1:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I can't stand that wood sitting up in the chicken house, so I decided to do something, even if it was wrong. My take on an adirondack chair. Since my but curves, I curved the bottom, and I don't like the way the rear of the arms are supported on a more conventional Adirondack. I finished this, this morning and it is drying in the sun. Nothing on it but Poly. It will live on the back porch as my whittling chair. I don't know what that whitish glare is on the side photo, it doesn't look like that. It is sitting on my lazy man invention; a swiveling bar stool cut down with a small table top added to keep me from having to walk around to sand or paint. (it works like a champ!)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What? The fine product of the Peoples Republic of China Adirondack chair factory wasn't good enough for you? Wasn't good enough for me either, only in my case I bought one from a hole in the wall outfit in Arkansas for $250 that actually makes a correct NYS Adirondack chair. Curved seat and backrest, something I can actually sit in and smoke my pipe and read for three or four hours without being crippled up by it. Much heavier wood also, western red cedar that I treated with some stuff the maker recommended that cost $30 a quart, but it does seem to be protecting the wood well. No pictures at the moment, and as it just started sprinkling out they will have to wait. Nice job on the chair, This in New York, the Adirondack chair originated here and all I could find local was Chinese chairs made out of some spindly wood and not to the correct pattern.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

For $60.00 I can get this off a popular auction site. Boy if I had cedar to play with I would make a couple old forum friends some real cool cigar humidors, but alas I have no cedar.
My patio chair.jpg
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's Chinese crap Chuck, thin wood, crap wood, I had one and had to slowly replace the rotted wood with scraps of mahogany until it finally fell apart for good. These folks made my chair
https://ozarkmountainfurniture.com/prod ... ack-chair/
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Jim, that is a classy chair. I like it a lot. What is the wood? When you get a minute, would you please take a photo of the back of the chair. I may attempt to duplicate that one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Will take pictures when I get home later. I put a link in for the manufacturer, Ozark Mountain Furniture. They use Western Red Cedar, the pictures are before and after I applied the wood sealer they recommended.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

When we were at Masirah Island, Oman right after 9-11 they sent furniture grade wood over there to build cabinets, tables etc out of. One of our Aircraft Maintenance guys "Cowboy" was making Adirondack chairs out of it and selling them. What a racket, take Government bought wood, make furniture out of it and sell it.

Our aircrews were making bed frames with shelves and storage cubbies out of the wood, and taking the air mattresses we brought over and making a real bed, better than a cot. I had somewhere around 200 air mattresses packed in the mobility bin. I used the air mattresses to my advantage, they didn't know how many I had......LOL.....It was always my last mattress when someone would barter for one.

The wood had a reddish tint to it, I've got no ideal what type of wood it was. I made our shop sign out of a price of scrap from the wood. Sign hangs in my gun room now!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pictures
Theodore Roosevelt