Unusual Gew 88 - pic heavy

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
gurn

Unusual Gew 88 - pic heavy

Post by gurn »

Found this one at a small show last weekend. Missing the rear sight adjuster, bolt head and with a broken firing pin I picked it up cheap. This is only my second Gew, my other is Turked marked. This one is strange because of the name. "SPANDAU 1893 ERF." I cant seem to find another example like it. Anyone have any idea about this one? ERF. = Erfurt? If so them why? :?

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
ffuries

Re: Unusual Gew 88 - pic heavy

Post by ffuries »

Here's a link to another Spandau one which is Turked and is also dated 1893 that sold on GB. Seller believed the ERF might refer to the Erfurt Arsenal with no explanation why, other than that beats me. Cool rifle either way.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/740241313
Last edited by ffuries on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
gurn

Post by gurn »

Thanks Mike, in my searching I somehow missed that one. Funny that both are 1893. I wonder if Erfurt was short on receivers and bought a few from Spandau that were already marked.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

gurn wrote:Thanks Mike, in my searching I somehow missed that one. Funny that both are 1893. I wonder if Erfurt was short on receivers and bought a few from Spandau that were already marked.

Makes one wonder due to the date being offset to accommodate the ERF stamp. Not finding anything else to explain the ERF stamp. Maybe between the two boards you posted on someone will know more. Interesting rifle and I look forward to learning more about the ERF stamp.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

We love pics. Very neat find, congrats. ( I won't be shocked if JYD has one. ) :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

gurn wrote:Thanks Mike, in my searching I somehow missed that one. Funny that both are 1893. I wonder if Erfurt was short on receivers and bought a few from Spandau that were already marked.
I see you got an answer on the other board, cool find. Now I know what it means.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Not a member of the other board :( So if a kind soul could tell us the answer haha.