M1 Garand Review...........Post Your M1 Garands here!!!!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

M1 Garand Review...........Post Your M1 Garands here!!!!

Post by Darryl »

Let's show them off. Com on, you know you want too.

M1 Garand
USGI
30 Cal. M2 (30-06)
WWII October 1942 Springfield Armory receiver
Korean era rebuild, Barrel is an SA - 8 -51 Korean era replacement
Inspected and stored by Letterkenny Arsenal in 1964 (LEAD 64)
Non circled Proof P in the pistol grip
Ink stamped orange triangle with the number 68 (inspector mark) on the bottom of the pistol grip
Left side faint right end of a DOD cartouche

TnBuckeye

Re: M1 Garand Review...........Post Your M1 Garands here!!!!

Post by TnBuckeye »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Oh hell yeah!!!

My first Garand, and it's tied as my favorite. It's a 5.4 million Springfield service grade that I bought from the CMP in 2010.

My other favorite is a sweet shooting six digit September of 1942 Springfield.

My 5.8 million Springfield service grade from the CMP.

My 1.2 million Winchester field grade from the CMP.

My 4.5 million International Harvester service grade from the CMP.

My 5.5 million Harrington & Richardson field grade from the CMP.

Threadkiller extraordinaire...
ma96782

Post by ma96782 »

I had joined the local police dept (in 1978) and I got interested in all kinds of firearms. Somewhere along the line, I saw that the DCM was offering genuine US Garands direct from the US military. But, there was a catch. Yup, besides paperwork you had to participate in real match shooting competition. Range shooting was not acceptable to qualify.

I had already built an M1a from a parts kit and so, I thought I was ready. OK, Ok, ok....I also bought some other small stuff (spotting scope, shooting mat, log book, padded coat and glove) to make my first match experience go smoother.

After shooting in 2 matches (120 rds total) at the USMC rifle range at Ewa Beach, I was eligible. IIRC, the required paperwork included an application, proof of citizenship, proof of affiliated club membership, fingerprint cards, a notary letter IDing myself and a statement that I was buying the rifle for the purpose of match shooting. At that time it was $94.30 ($121.96 total - shipped to Hawaii). BTW, back then you could only get one rifle for your lifetime. It was "the luck of the draw" when it came to manufacturer and condition. Anyway, the paperwork package was completed and sent via snail mail to the old DCM. That was in 1984.

It would take months later before I received it. It felt like Christmas to open the box. My waiting was rewarded with an IHC......WOW! I say WOW now.....but, back then I wanted an SA. I didn't know any better.

Speaking of not knowing any better. I modified that IHC into my match rilfe. OMG! And, there would be other mistakes too. Anyway, since that first Garand I've ordered many more through the new CMP.

I've managed to hold on to these.

Aloha, Mark
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Pretty neat seeing three six digits Springfield's right out of the gate. Two September of 42, and one October of 42.

Here's a picture of the heel of my six digit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

TnBuckeye wrote:Image

Sorry, looks like I missed uploading this photo!

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Here’s mine:

It’s wearing an M5 bayonet and was acquired locally for under $800. Stock has the remnants of a DCM cartouche, so it may have been a DCM rifle at one time. When I bought it from the gun dealer, it still had the Woolworth’s price tag on the butt plate! I’ve saved it (put it in an envelope with other gun documents for safe keeping).

The sling is a reproduction of extremely high quality: the leather is quality leather over a quarter inch thick and well tanned. The keepers and loops have heavy duty stitching and the metal hooks are riveted in place.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

My one and only. SA 03-45 barrel, 2.2 million SA receiver. I don't have the gauges but the bore looks great and it will shoot the 4" group @ 100 like it should.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

And here is Mr. Bear holding my Springfield dated April 1945. A recent purhase from the CMP. This is one of the ones from storage in the
Philippines hence the new stock
Springfield M1 Garand 001.JPG
Springfield M1 Garand 002.JPG
Springfield M1 Garand 003.JPG
Springfield M1 Garand 004.JPG
Springfield M1 Garand 005.JPG
Springfield M1 Garand 006.JPG
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

TnBuckeye wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

Do you know what the NM on some barrels means ?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

steelbuttplate wrote:
TnBuckeye wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

Do you know what the NM on some barrels means ?
My assumption was National Match???

TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Here is a somewhat recent addition...love shooting it!

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice stuff boys!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Ok here's my only Garand.

Springfield Armory D28291-29, July 43 receiver based on the 1738447 serial number
Trigger Group: D28290-14-SA (Nov 44 - Jan 45)
Bolt: D28287-19SA, B 15 (Jul 44 to Oct 45)
Op Rod: D35382 9 SA (Nov 43 - Jan 45)
Barrel: S-A-4-49 so an April 49 barrel

So far all the parts seem to predate 1950, with the exception of the safety marked BMP, and the rear sight knob marked PB, Italian made parts.

There is a circled P, non circled P and crossed cannons (All very very faint) on the stock. When I say faint, you can only see them with a flashlight and looking for them at an angle.

The bolt although US made, has a faint SN laser etched into it, so I'm thinking Danish. Rifle might be one of the Danish returns.
Last edited by ffuries on Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

as a reminder, new commercial 30.06 is not exactly like the ww2 variety....the operating rod can be damaged with the new loads....last year, I ordered a new ported gas plug from garandgear.com....the quick exchange is very easy....I put it on one of my shooters and it works very well...absorbs the increased power in the newer commercial ammo....protect your old, great investments....if you are selling, you can always switch it back for the original configuration......Tom
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

tomaustin wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 pm as a reminder, new commercial 30.06 is not exactly like the ww2 variety....the operating rod can be damaged with the new loads....last year, I ordered a new ported gas plug from garandgear.com....the quick exchange is very easy....I put it on one of my shooters and it works very well...absorbs the increased power in the newer commercial ammo....protect your old, great investments....if you are selling, you can always switch it back for the original configuration......Tom
What about commerical ammo that says it's safe for use in the Garand? Such as PPU, American Eagle and Sellier & Bellot to name a few. Would you still recommend changing out the gas plug or leaving it as is?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
tomaustin

Post by tomaustin »

if they have comparable data on the vintage rounds and their new ammo, it would be the only way to properly compare them....contact garandgear....i called them a year or so ago and they would be able to give more info on what to analyze....frankly, these old warhorses should be treated with respect...operating rods have been bent and broken with too much pressure on the recoil...i am happy to have this choice.....
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

ffuries wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:56 pm
tomaustin wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:07 pm as a reminder, new commercial 30.06 is not exactly like the ww2 variety....the operating rod can be damaged with the new loads....last year, I ordered a new ported gas plug from garandgear.com....the quick exchange is very easy....I put it on one of my shooters and it works very well...absorbs the increased power in the newer commercial ammo....protect your old, great investments....if you are selling, you can always switch it back for the original configuration......Tom
What about commerical ammo that says it's safe for use in the Garand? Such as PPU, American Eagle and Sellier & Bellot to name a few. Would you still recommend changing out the gas plug or leaving it as is?
The Garand was not designed for high pressure commercial ammo operating above 50,000 SAMMI specs. This is common knowledge and that's why there are some companies like PPU making Garand specific ammo. This is well known and common and there is a lot of information out there about it. Over pressured ammunition can damage the operating rod at a minimum.

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/m1-garand-assembly/ammo.php
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Here's my only Garand purchased from DCM (now CMP) in 1986 for $95 plus $65 shipping costs. All tolerances are still within milspec and it still shoots very well.
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

tjtM38 wrote:Here's my only Garand purchased from DCM (now CMP) in 1986 for $95 plus $65 shipping costs. All tolerances are still within milspec and it still shoots very well.
Looks nice!