BUG

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

BUG

Post by awalker1829 »

Decided that I needed something a little smaller than the P320 for a back up or alternate firearm. Local Sportsman’s Warehouse had a couple of Kimber Micro 9s with TruGlo night sights for $699, so I got one. Only complaint I can make is that the finish on this one was so-so. The area right behind the ejection port has some finish already wearing through-not cool.

That said, it shoots very well and pretty well fits my need. Did good with it at the range-no failures to fire on account of the gun. I did have one that was due to the ammunition-dead primer. Anyways, I was satisfied with its performance and my ability with it.
Last edited by awalker1829 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffuries

Re: BUG

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote:Image
Ugh picture isn't loading for me........So what is a BUG other than something you step on, drive, makes you sick or something you do to annoy someone?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

That would be a Back Up Gun. I’ve been having some issues with the Imagur app. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. This ones a Kimber Micro 9.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote:That would be a Back Up Gun. I’ve been having some issues with the Imagur app. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. This ones a Kimber Micro 9.
Thank you for the clarification and explanation. Need to remember that acronym, since I've started collecting milsurps I've learned so many that I'm going to need a cheat sheet here soon.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Okay. Here we go. Found a workaround.
D712B438-4118-479E-92F5-01DF50A53A73.jpeg
Back Up Guns actually have some sanctioned sporting competitions in some regions. Our club occasionally hosts Back Up Gun competitions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

awalker1829 wrote:Okay. Here we go. Found a workaround.

D712B438-4118-479E-92F5-01DF50A53A73.jpeg

Back Up Guns actually have some sanctioned sporting competitions in some regions. Our club occasionally hosts Back Up Gun competitions.
So is this a 9mm? What would you compare it to size wise?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
entropy

Post by entropy »

Just slightly bigger than a Colt .380 Mustang.

Nice BUG! I like J-frames for BUGs myself.

I grew up with two terms; BUG and Throw-down. My dad was a cop. He carried his off-duty gun as a BUG; some cops had an untraceable (Usually taken off a suspect) gun to 'throw down' at the scene of a 'bad shoot' (Shot an unarmed suspect or such.)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My first thought was he got a new car, nice little pistol.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I don't carry a BUG, if i need two guns then the place i am going to is too unsafe so i will not go.

That said, i do carry small guns if i need absolute concealment. I used to pocket carry or ankle carry a Keltec P3AT 380. Great cheap little gun. When the Glock 43 came out, I started to carry that and the Keltec now lives in the safe.
Kollaa kestää
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

It’s a 9mm. All of my self defense handguns are either 9mm Parabellum or 45ACP. I’ll carry a BUG if I’m traveling any distance on the highway. Southern Arizona has a lot of illegal activity (drugs and illegal immigrants) and there are plenty of places where one cannot expect quick response by law enforcement.

Having a small gun makes it easier to carry concealed during the hot weather months-just get a pocket holster and put it in the cargo pocket.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Quickest reload, too. As Jim knows, it's called a New York reload.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

awalker1829 wrote:It’s a 9mm. All of my self defense handguns are either 9mm Parabellum or 45ACP. I’ll carry a BUG if I’m traveling any distance on the highway. Southern Arizona has a lot of illegal activity (drugs and illegal immigrants) and there are plenty of places where one cannot expect quick response by law enforcement.

Having a small gun makes it easier to carry concealed during the hot weather months-just get a pocket holster and put it in the cargo pocket.
Brave man, with all that going on I would be traveling with an up armored vehicle, one of several in my convoy and M14...if I traveled at all outside the walled compound with underground secure bunker
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

entropy wrote:Quickest reload, too. As Jim knows, it's called a New York reload.
five seconds or less to dump M14 mag and slap on a full one
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

One of the interesting aspects of my job is that I get to see the information for all civil forfeiture proceedings related to property seized in all criminal cases. In order to effect the forfeiture of the seized property, the county attorney must file a civil forfeiture case. Included in the filings is a list of the property to be forfeited and police reports regarding the seizure. Any firearms seized will have a description and serial number (if present). If the serial number was obliterated, the description will note that.

That having been said, in my eight years in my current assignment, I can only recall seeing one collectible firearm going through the forfeiture process-an M1 Garand and that was related to a mental health case. Plenty of cheap handguns get seized and a few rifles and shotguns. I’ve seen one or two SKSs listed but don’t recall seeing any ARs. Criminals spend as little as possible on guns. Rifles aren’t that attractive to them as they’re not easy to conceal. Those are only useful for protecting a location such as a drug house.

Out here, there are pretty big spaces where the probability of a quick response by law enforcement is slim to none. Officers out here have a different attitude towards armed citizens than many of the urban city cops. They know that their backup might take a while to get to them in an emergency. Our counties are larger than some Eastern states. Pima County is larger than the State of New Jersey and Maricopa County is larger than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hope neither county is like the aforementioned states in any way other than size.
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I hope neither county is like the aforementioned states in any way other than size.
You can rest assured that neither county is like Massachusetts or New Jersey in any other way. Our sheriff’s department is probably larger than either state’s state police force. Both counties are very firearms friendly and both sheriff’s departments maintain a standing posse. Some posse members are sworn law enforcement officers and some are non-law enforcement.

Many law enforcement agencies here use volunteer officers in addition to paid staff. Highway Patrol volunteers use the same uniform and vehicles as regular troopers. Municipal police volunteers usually operate patrol vehicles with additional volunteer patrol markings. Sheriff’s posse members may operate regular patrol vehicles for law enforcement duties.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

awalker1829 wrote:It’s a 9mm. All of my self defense handguns are either 9mm Parabellum or 45ACP. I’ll carry a BUG if I’m traveling any distance on the highway. Southern Arizona has a lot of illegal activity (drugs and illegal immigrants) and there are plenty of places where one cannot expect quick response by law enforcement.

I also carry a small gun in the Summer. (1911A1) Good leather makes all the difference. Our crooks are just as bad in the summer months as the winter months.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Florida has a winter? If it's not 13 outside right now then don't bother mentioning a Florida "winter"
Theodore Roosevelt
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Florida has a winter? If it's not 13 outside right now then don't bother mentioning a Florida "winter"
Up in the northern part of the state, it can get pretty cold during the winter-maybe not in the teens, but twenty degree weather is not unheard of. Florida isn’t all sand and beaches. As for cold, talk to my cousin’s husband and he’ll tell you thirteen degrees is warm. You want cold? Try twenty degrees below zero. Up there in North Dakota, you get days that the high temperatures are subzero or barely above zero.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Unfortunately it seems we will be experiencing that -10 or -20 this weekend. Not the first time for me, I have experienced worse back in my younger days when I thought winter camping up in the mountains was fun. Not the first time for this area either, it's rare, but lately it seems we are getting these polar vortex blasts during winter with greater frequency. Bad enough it's expected to be that I went out in 20 degree weather today to cut up more firewood. In such temperatures should the shops power fail we could lose the plumbing in a short time, I will be monitoring the woodstove all night. I had to start my chainsaw inside and keep it running until I reached the log pile. Every morning this past week it's so cold my Subaru's starter barely cranks, my wood truck refused to start at all forcing me to use a minivan to haul wood, most inconvenient. I am getting too old for this shit.
Theodore Roosevelt