Extractor - Too Strong A Spring

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
The Bolt Man

Extractor - Too Strong A Spring

Post by The Bolt Man »

Can the tension of the extractor be reduced?

I have seven 91-30's, three M44's and one M38. One of the M44's is a Polish in unissued condition and it is the only one of all the Mosin Nagants that the bolt closes quite easily on a round being loaded into the chamber. The extractor snaps over the rim easily.

All the other MN's are refurbs and the extractor springs are so strong it takes a hard slap on the bolt handle to get the extractors to snap over the cartridge rim. That results in a burr of metal on the rim, pushed up by the extractor. This burr is annoying when reloading.

I checked the Polish and the extractor tension is noticably less and the face of the extractor is polished. I assume polishing the extractor faces of the other Mosin Nagants may help some, but I wish the tension could be reduced also.

Any suggestions?
desdem12

Re: Extractor - Too Strong A Spring

Post by desdem12 »

Check the face of the extractor for nicks. These little nicks cause the burrs you are referring to. The extractor face should be smooth, If it is not you can polish it out a little to remove the nicks in the face of it. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The extractor is a spring, and it's not something you want to bend much as they can, and do snap. You could easily acquire another extractor and try it. I believe Liberty tree collectors has them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BigMuddy1031

Post by BigMuddy1031 »

I had issues with my extractor on my 91/30 at first. I polished the daylights out of it, lubed it up, tried to "stretch" the spring by moving it around alot. After everything I did to it, I was still having issues with it. So I just replaced the extractor and have had no issues since. Save yourself the headache and just replace the part.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

If you look here if you need one, http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=9 , there's some from LibertyTreeCollectors like The Boss said. A lot of the other vendors that have parts listed there also offer them but they just haven't been listed on the sight.