Dad's old gun

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Dad's old gun

Post by Darryl »

My Dad always had this in his sock drawer for as long as I could remember. Had about 10 rounds rattling around the drawer with it (unloaded). It would never lock up with the cylinder aligning with the barrel. You had to help the cylinder along and it would click into position. So double action was out of the questions. After he passed away, I got hold of it and took it to the gunsmith. He charged me $125 to repair it and said it was now in pretty good shape, however, I have never loaded it or fired it.

But it does "sit in my sock drawer in the back". No rounds rolling around though. :chuckles:

I know, it cost me more to repair it then it probably was worth, but I just can't stand having a potentially dangerous firearm laying around and it was worth it for sentimental value to me.

Iver Johnson
American Bulldog
38 Cal. S&W
Second Model 1885-1899
2 7/16 inches octagon barrel, 16 3/8 ounces, five shot cylinder

I'll show my Mom's little auto I took away from her when she was diagnosed with Lewy Bodies Dementia. ....Can't have that laying around the house!! :chuckles:

Dolk
SA1911a1

Re: Dad's old gun

Post by SA1911a1 »

It was certainly worth it to fix your Dad's old gun. You probably won't get you money out of it, but it will probably be in your sock drawer when you check out.

I have a few Iver Johnsons, and H&Rs laying around. Some I have shot, and some I don't have the courage to shoot and some would be certain suicide..
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I don't always carry a gun, but when I do, it's Iver Johnson's .32. Owl gun. Stay loaded my friends. :bwink:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I've got my great grand father's Iver Johnson Champion 12 gauge shotgun. Not worth much monetary wise, but priceless as a family heirloom. I've shot it many a time, so have my kids, it packs one hell of a punch that is for sure.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

For Christmas in 1958 my parents gave me a Winchester Model 94 30-30. Recently my son and grandson came by while scouting colleges for the grandson. Just before they left I passed the Winchester down to my son. He has lusted for it for almost all of his 48 years. I did make him take a blood oath to never let it go outside of the family. I can't explain the happiness I felt handing him that rifle. I didn't want the grandson to feel bad so I gave him a 1898 Krag 30-40 that somebody had sported back in the 50's.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice IJ, I have one similar to it but with a longer barrel. I keep that one in a sealed shadowbox, the sock drawer holds a cannon.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That's very cool Dolk! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I don’t have an Iver Johnson, but I do have a late 1890s Smith and Wesson break top .38 of uncertain origin in our family. All I know is that one of my ancestors owned it. It came with my late aunt’s .25 cal Bryce and my grandfather’s Colt Government Model 1911A1. It is a commercial model made in 1927 and carried in theater by grandfather during his stint as an officer in the US Navy Reserve during the war.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice revolver, it was worth fixing :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
entropy

Post by entropy »

I just took the firing pin out of my Grandpa's old H&R 16 ga. single shot, as it was dangerous. I might replace the trigger and hammer someday, PITA job to do, it is a wall hanger till then.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Very cool story here. Every time you dive deep for some socks and see that revolver you are gonna think of dad.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am a bit jealous over the "family gun" thing. (though I am happy for your guys that have it)

My father was a chroic, violent drunk and he never had a gun in the house because I suspect he knew that if he did, he would kill somebody with it. I do have the two firearms my Father-in-law owned. (He was much better to me than my dad) A Winchester single-shot 12 ga. and a Sears single shot .22. These guns were a practical necessity for someone who lived in the country, and he could not afford anything nicer. They both put meat on the table our of necessity. The shotgun has a little commerical value, the .22 has very little. I would spend whatever it took to keep those old guns running so that they can go to my kids, and begin a family tradition.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Money well spent.
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

Every family firearm that I would have treasured has evaded me, except the Rem 521t I learned to shoot on, learned how to refinish a stock on, and eventually traded off as a fledgling gun trader. My old man had a 45 1911 A1 he carried through the battle of the bulge and the hospital on his way out. He got it from a drafted mobster who stole a few and gave him one to clean one for the theif. He gave it to a friend of the family in up state NY who was a veterinarian and an AF vet when we moved to Kalififornica because he didn't know the gun laws. I saw it a few years later and it had been shot with corrosive and never cleaned. Wonder where it is now or if it still is.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Firearms have stayed in our family.

I have this revolver from my Dad
I have a little stainless .25 semi (crap pistol) from my Mom, and my Grandfathers Shotgun in 20 ga sxs

Also my Mom's bb rifle she could shoot and hit a skunk at 75 feet (plus) with from the hip. No crap. I warned her about that, but she was always lucky not to get sprayed. My son has that one.
I also have several of my Dad's old black powder reproductions .

I have a old Browning 380 that my Father in law took off a Japanese officer in a rare surrender. It is a bring back. My son has that one also.

I have my first rifle. A Mosberg single shot 22.

They just stay in the family.

I have every firearm I have ever bought. I have never sold a single one. Yes, I have quite a few. One of these days, I'll let them go...maybe.

Dolk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

dolk wrote:Firearms have stayed in our family.

I have this revolver from my Dad
I have a little stainless .25 semi (crap pistol) from my Mom, and my Grandfathers Shotgun in 20 ga sxs

Also my Mom's bb rifle she could shoot and hit a skunk at 75 feet (plus) with from the hip. No crap. I warned her about that, but she was always lucky not to get sprayed. My son has that one.
I also have several of my Dad's old black powder reproductions .

I have a old Browning 380 that my Father in law took off a Japanese officer in a rare surrender. It is a bring back. My son has that one also.

I have my first rifle. A Mosberg single shot 22.

They just stay in the family.

I have every firearm I have ever bought. I have never sold a single one. Yes, I have quite a few. One of these days, I'll let them go...maybe.

Dolk
Yea, right D. You will get rid of them only after you are in the grave......

As I am at that age where my high-school classmates are dropping like flies, and mortality is beginning to look more like a fact than a theory, I am beginning to worry about some asshole sporterizing some of my guns after I am done with them. If there is an after-life, and I can come back, some SOB would have a fine haunting.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

SA1911a1 wrote:

As I am at that age where my high-school classmates are dropping like flies, and mortality is beginning to look more like a fact than a theory, I am beginning to worry about some asshole sporterizing some of my guns after I am done with them. If there is an after-life, and I can come back, some SOB would have a fine haunting.
I'm lucky, I have a son that is very much into firarms and collecting, So I know where my firearms are going when I die ....... Probably a down payment for a new truck!!!

Well, no way to control them after you are gone I guess. But I do like the idea of coming back and Haunting someone for that!! Good suggestion Steve!!

Dolk
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Neither of my daughters is into legacy guns, But I now have 3 grand kids and the oldest boy is 7, Time for bbguns! I bought one of the Daisy Match Air rifles for the grand total of $135 for just this day!
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

dolk wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:

I'm lucky, I have a son that is very much into firarms and collecting, So I know where my firearms are going when I die ....... Probably a down payment for a new truck!!!

Well, no way to control them after you are gone I guess. But I do like the idea of coming back and Haunting someone for that!! Good suggestion Steve!!

Dolk
Oh yea, I absolutely intend to haunt the shit out of whoever ends up with my gear, and it isn't going to be some tame Casper type shit either, oh no I plan to be a real pain in the ass.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt