Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
varifleman

Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle

Post by varifleman »

Here's my Japanese MURATA Type 18 bolt action rifle chambered in 11mm. This is the first bolt action rifle manufactured in Japan and was the precursor to the famous Arisaka rifle. It mostly matching numbers; bolt, receiver, barrel, rear sight and trigger guard all match. Stock still retains its cartouche. 32” barrel is very good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Rear ladder sight. Bore is good with some surface wear; strong rifling remains. Original cleaning rod intact. Matching numbers receiver shows same brown patina; Bolt action works smoothly and flawlessly. Bolt numbers match; Firing pin mechanism numbers do not. Trigger guard very good with matching numbers. The only numbers I see that do not match are on the middle barrel band. Full length stock remains quite attractive with shoulder stock cartouche. Small repaired crack left side along rear tang; barely noticeable. Original metal butt plate very good. Does anyone make brass for this rifle or have any reloading hints?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
varifleman

Re: Japanese Type 18 1885 11mm black powder cartridge rifle

Post by varifleman »

A few more details:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
varifleman

Post by varifleman »

And a few more:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Very nice,
Gad Custom Cartridges
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Cool, a very nice example.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Cool rifle and a beautiful one too.

I've done a lot of reloading for a similar rifle, the Russian Berdan, precursor to the Mosin Nagant. I use black powder and cast bullets. If you can get brass, the rest is relatively easy and fun. I've probably taken my Berdan out to shoot more than any of my other shooters.

I have a worksheet I have put together in Word format I will send you if you email me your email address so I can send directly.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice! Not something you see very often.