Breaking down a 91-30 pre-war stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

Breaking down a 91-30 pre-war stock

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi folks, I acquired a doosey of a rifle for cheap that I want to recover the metal stock parts from. The stock itself is broken, cracked and otherwise kinda spent. The all-matching action will be used elsewhere, but is there a recommended tool to remove the sling escutcheon screws (sp?) with? How about the nose cap? They seem really small and with shallow slots. Thanks, Aaron
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Breaking down a 91-30 pre-war stock

Post by millman »

The tool is called a screw driver.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

How bad is it broken? You might save it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Soak everything 24 hrs. w/ penetrating oil first. You'll need a x-small screwdriver, watchmakers type I guess they are called.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Millman: Normally I would agree but the toe splice looks to have been removed with a hammer, or torn off... plus there are at least two cracks with wood displaced and two spliced-in bits. I bought it for parts. I'll keep the action, the bore may have potential. But so do the other 20+, ugh...
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Time to post photos of what you have been talking about on the forums. We need to see photos.

Dolk
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:The tool is called a screw driver.
That's right, but if the stock got refurbished it was common for them to sand the stock, escutcheon & screws together. This tends to sand the screws flush & keeps you from gaining purchase on the slot to turn them out.

As stated; Pictures of the item will help us help you.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I haven't seen a wooden stock that can not be repaired if all of the wood is there. Wood is very forgiving, history not so much.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
B24

Post by B24 »

Rongo wrote:
That's right, but if the stock got refurbished it was common for them to sand the stock, escutcheon & screws together. This tends to sand the screws flush & keeps you from gaining purchase on the slot to turn them out.

:pointup: Like he said!
I have a 1917 Remington that may be a SCW that some of the screw slots are completely gone.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

B24 wrote:
Rongo wrote:

:pointup: Like he said!
I have a 1917 Remington that may be a SCW that some of the screw slots are completely gone.
Engraving tool will restore slots, if it comes to that.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

dolk wrote:Time to post photos of what you have been talking about on the forums. We need to see photos.

Dolk

Yeah, and post a pic of the screwdriver. We need pics of everything here. We are very visual types... 8-)
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.