Help with Identifying Markings on my rifle for historical records

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
LEBrucey

Help with Identifying Markings on my rifle for historical records

Post by LEBrucey »

Hi guys,

I've recently purchased what I initially thought was an M91/30. I live in Australia and without explaining our laws, I wont have this rifle in my possession for another 4-8 weeks. I will however be able to go check on it and get a far better photo of the receiver and the markings so I can get a far more high definition photograph.

My main question is that the markings on the receiver are foreign to me, there is clearly a D, a makring I understand designates its ready for a D166 round by the Finns? There is also clearly two X's below some form of marking. Any idea what these two are? Its hard to tell from the photo, so until I can get to my rifle next week I can't realy provide any higher resoloution of photo.

In the meantime, I was wondering what you guys could tell me about the rifle on-top of my possibly inaccurate chart:

Thanks for your help if it can be provided,

Cheers,
Lachlan
Adelaide, Australia
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help with Identifying Markings on my rifle for historical records

Post by millman »

It is a 1929 Izhevsk Dragoon updated to 91/30 specs.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Looks like the receiver might be off of an Imperial m91 (pre 1918). The xx that you were mentioning looks to be part of an Imperial era czarist eagle stamp. I don't see a Finnish "D" marking on it though. The mark to the left of the xx mark doesn't appear to be the Finn D stamp, at least not to me.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

The double X looks like they used X's to deface the Imperial Eagle versus being ground off. The D looks like a poorly stuck B to my eyes.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Definitely not a "D". Half circle with a "T"? Whatever, it is badly struck. I have seen a similar mark like the "xx" stamp on M-39's
IMG_9939.JPG
I'd be more interested in seeing the stamp on the right side of the shank horizontal to the Izhevsk stamping. Looks like something in a box that is sort of unusual for that area of the shank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Some "enlarged" Photos of the above.

I don't see a "D" anywhere. Not a Finn "D"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Above and to the left of the Imperial Eagle still looks like a lightly stuck B to me on the receiver. The Imperial Eagle looks like it is canceled out with X's to me, but my eyes aren't what they use to be!

Now I see what looks like a poorly stuck circle with the T marking that was previously mentioned on the barrel, that could be confused as a D. I thought he was referring to the B on the receiver.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The circle on the barrel is a poorly struck crossed-hammers stamp from a Latvian arsenal. Can't remember which one.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

Any chance the mark under the 1929 date could be a refurbishment stamp ? maybe the " Diver Down" mark but poorly struck ?
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

M39 Shooter wrote:Any chance the mark under the 1929 date could be a refurbishment stamp ? maybe the " Diver Down" mark but poorly struck ?
Yes it is a refurbisment mark, bit It is an empty box and it's for fhe 7th GRAU.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
LEBrucey

Post by LEBrucey »

Hi guys, thanks for the response!

I don't know how I hadn't realized what I thought was a D was indeed a badly stamped B, Not sure how I didn't see it.

When I get the rifle I'll definitely look onto the receiver and find out what it is dated, where would that be stamped on it? The x's on the imperial eagle are definitely interesting. I'll see what I can find on the poorly stamped half circle in the meantime.

The marking on the side of the Barrel is definitely interesting, but can't see at all what it could be from that angle.

Does anyone know if there is a way to work out when it was refurbished? or any other interesting information I might be able to find out about the rifle?

Thanks heaps for the help,
Lachlan
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

The receiver should be dated on the botton side of the tang.

Some good reading here.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
LEBrucey

Post by LEBrucey »

Right. So I've had my trip to see the rifle.

For my first time seeing my Mosin in person, let alone any mosin, I fell in love and quickly I've made the right choice.

Down to the nitty gritty then, unfortunately my phone has probably done just as bad a job of the photography as the original photos, but its the tidbit better with more variety.

This pretty well confirms the Imperial crest as well as the B, Still got no real idea what the mark above the Izhevsk arrow is. Wish someone had once put more effort into hitting that one home. But oh well. I also cannot seem to find any information on what the B means?

Now I'm assuming that that is a provisional black powder stamp, however just badly stamped so it looks more like an 11, as it looks the same "shape", nothing like a Polish (11) for example. Massive apology for the blurriness of this one, I thought it had come out okay when I took it. Turns out I was wrong. Even after 3 attempts.

Okay, right side. My understanding is that that is a Barrel Shank point of aim with the (K), and a Accuracy Proof with the 00. However, I have literaly no idea where to even look for the comb looking thing further towards the rear. I have done some looking for Crylic letter in that shape, but none have 4 prongs...

Finally, this arrow on the bolt, I assume its just a standard Izhevsk style arrow, but I haven't seen it come up on any of the marking ID pages. Is this all standard?

Unfortunately I don't have a date for the receiver yet, except that the original receiver has been re-stamped with the new serial number on the bottom of the mag plate.

Massive appreciation for anyone that can help,

Thanks,
Lachlan
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Finally, this arrow on the bolt, I assume its just a standard Izhevsk style arrow, but I haven't seen it come up on any of the marking ID pages. Is this all standard?
This is a cocking piece from a post '28 Izhevsk bolt. Typical for a refurbished rifle and nothing to worry about. Not well stamped either but it's the same triangle with arrow as on the shank. Once you get into the gun, you will probably find a few more refurbished parts. No biggie, this is common.