Taking a poll!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jfrink23

Taking a poll!

Post by jfrink23 »

Would you consider the Mosin Nagant to be an ugly weapon? As in the looks just straight looks nothing about functionality. I am asking because my wife said my new and first mosin is cool it's just an ugly weapon... I think it's a nice looking gun. I just want to prove her wrong;) hopefully lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
ffuries

Re: Taking a poll!

Post by ffuries »

To be honest when I first saw the Mosin Nagant, I too thought it was ugly compared to Mausers and such. Now I just tell myself I was uneducated at the time, now when I look at a Mosin Nagant I can see she ain't ugly at all.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Never ask a woman to comment on another girl.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Many Germans thought it was ugly but many Russians thought it was beautiful.

I guess it's a beautiful ugly rifle. :lol:
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Sonny wrote:Many Germans thought it was ugly but many Russians thought it was beautiful.

Wouldn't that make it a Pretty Ugly Rifle?
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
KC651

Post by KC651 »

I'll always knew about the 91/30 Mosins, and I always saw it as the ugly $90 crate rifle. When I was introduced to the Finn m39 I knew immediately it was an upgrade, but couldn't pinpoint it until my friend listed the upgrades.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

ffuries wrote:
Sonny wrote:Many Germans thought it was ugly but many Russians thought it was beautiful.

Wouldn't that make it a Pretty Ugly Rifle?
Ha Ha but even the ugly ones need lovin' :thumbsup:

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ZJiBHh-Yw[/bbvideo]
Pahtu

Post by Pahtu »

I used to do my transfers at a local shop - One of the guys behind the counter, quizzed me about a M44 I was picking up.....cool carbine he said....sure is ugly.....Hmmm I had never thought they were ugly...???

Pahtu.
I do not always fire a rifle, but when I do....it is a Mosin I choose..... 8-)
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

The first time I saw a Mosin Nagant I thought it wasn't the prettiest rifle I have ever seen. It doesn't have the lines of a Mauser, or 1903, but it does the job.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I love the lines of the M91. I think they are beautiful, even when they have had a hard life.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

JAR, Just Another Rifle, I never gave much thought to how a rifle looks, only how it works. If metal flys out the front when I pull the trigger and hits the target reasonably close ( deviations in flight pattern are likely my fault) I am satisfied. An ugly weapon to me is one Bubba hacked on. Milsurps to me are all about the history .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

You guys all make some good points! I think from what I've been experiencing it's the people that don't know about the history and all that behind it and they just think its just an 89-year-old rifle and its a little beat up, but for me, I'm like HISTORY!!!! haha, I think it's a good looking rifle how it was designed and they put some thought into. Like the bayonet is also a flat head you can use to take your rifle down, how useful is that you know! How simple and durable this rifle is it is no wonder it helped push the Germans back in WW2 and it was copied by so many countries, they must have done something right!
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

I'm a Mauser collector but I have a 1936 hex Mosin, an ugly rifle that produces some rather pretty groups on paper.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I copy part wasn't always voluntary We made it here, or rather Remington and Westinghouse did because they were paid to by the Russian government as was France in the late 19th century. China, and the buffer states produced it because the Soviets set them up to do it. No western sate produced the Mosin because they wanted to use it for themselves, and after the Great War no state outside the communist ones made any .Czechoslovakia chose to go with their own rifle designs, but the rest of the communist world went with Soviet aid as the western world went with US or British aid. Lot of history in the Mosin, mostly Communist or Czarist history, but we did briefly use it during the North Russian intervention. The Mauser would be the rifle most copied by other countries for their own use, including our own with the US M1903.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
B24

Post by B24 »

At one time I thought any rifle in a full length wood stock was ugly but my taste has changed over the years. I think
the Finn variants are some of the best looking milsurps out there. As far as looks go some of the Enfields are at the
bottom of my list.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

:facepalm2: The MAS36, now thats and UGLY rifle...
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

I don't think the Mosin is a particularly ugly rifle. I really like the M91. However, the Enfield No.5 Mk1 is an ugly one as far as I'm concerned.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
jfrink23

Post by jfrink23 »

Mosins are definitely good looking and have a lot of history behind it makes it even more interesting! Were the Russian ones made with different types of wood? Mine is a 1928 Izhevsk and it is a dark colored wood, I see some other mosins that are a light color wood, anyone knows?
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

I like how they look. I came from the world of oiled Walnut stocks, so the shiny red color of the shellaced Birch stock caught my eye. I like how the shiny bare steel bolt looks next to the black steel and red wood. The Russian bluing is very dark, really more of a black.

The Finnish rifles with their fancy stocks are very pretty.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Soviet bluing is sometimes black paint.
Theodore Roosevelt