'36 Warhorse

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

'36 Warhorse

Post by NLMosin »

So I know this one wont impress a good many of you fellas but it just called out to me. Its got all the features of an SCW, no pin in rear sight, no import mark, blade front sight, and USSR stamp. The barrel and buttplate serials match but thats all.

When I got it it looked like someone took it out of the crate, wiped off enough cosmoline to be able to hold it tight enough to fire, and then drove 500 rounds through it without stopping. I haven't begun to work on cleaning the bore yet. The stock looks like it was in a nade blast...theres even a 'weld' looking burn mark on the magazine. I know I know its a stretch, but its fun to let you mind wonder where they've been sometimes.

The hand guard is definitely homemade. Don't know by who or where, but you can see that whoever made it didn't spend the five extra minutes of sanding it would have taken to make the front band fit. Maybe he was in a hurry...
36scw (1).jpg
36scw (2).jpg
36scw (3).jpg
36scw (4).jpg
36scw (5).jpg
36scw (6).jpg
36scw (7).jpg
36scw (8).jpg
36scw (9).jpg
36scw (10).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
NLMosin

Re: '36 Warhorse

Post by NLMosin »

36scw (11).jpg
36scw (12).jpg
36scw (13).jpg
36scw (14).jpg
36scw (15).jpg
36scw (16).jpg
36scw (17).jpg
36scw (18).jpg
36scw (19).jpg
36scw (20).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
People live together.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No crates for these ones, they came in stacked and strapped to a pallet back when everyone liked Ike. Nice find :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I think the SCWs are known to have those types of hand guards.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

This poor baby needed a flack jacket, cool find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Longcolt44 wrote:This poor baby needed a flack jacket, cool find.
That's what I was thinking. I like it!
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Now that is a "Been there, done that" look on that ole gal, love it.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Wow, that one is really interesting! Based on that frag damage on the side, I absolutely wouldn't have wanted to be the one holding it when that happened.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I like it. Definitely a salty one. I like the panshin front blade too
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

racerguy00 wrote:I like it. Definitely a salty one. I like the panshin front blade too

A lot of SCW rifles that are outside the normal date ranges for panshin front sights are observed(mostly 1936, but some 37's as well) Makes you wonder if it was a Spanish swap out or the Russians using up "non standard" parts on the rifles going to spain.

Nice rifle OP, and the Spanish replacement handgaurd is cool.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Great thread and thanks for posting. I really like well-used Mosins like this one.

Post by WWW »

Warhorse indeed. It looks like it took a beating, yet still not dead. Definitely tougher than a horse! ;)

(p.s. Our mutual C&R seller had a VKT M39 for sale at the Saratoga show last weekend. Decent looking except for the cracked stock and $500 price tag. I passed.)
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

WWW wrote: (p.s. Our mutual C&R seller had a VKT M39 for sale at the Saratoga show last weekend. Decent looking except for the cracked stock and $500 price tag. I passed.)
Yeah I dont blame you.Five hundred clams buys a better candidate then that. I think maybe he has sold the good stuff he had...This old '36 was $186 shipped to my front door. :thumbsup:
People live together.

Post by WWW »

NLMosin wrote:This old '36 was $186 shipped to my front door. :thumbsup:
Even better! :thumbsup:
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
B24

Post by B24 »

The way the rifle looks the poor soul that was holding it probably didn't fair too well. The only thing
this one is missing is wire sling hangers. Cool rifle and a cool price. After you get your hands on a
couple of examples like this the common refurb just doesn't do anything for you. Great find!