M27-66 - heavy pics

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jack57000

M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by jack57000 »

Hi

this is a Finnish Military Marksman Target Rifle M27-66 in 7.62x53R. a few hundreds were built.

Heavy barrel , reinforced receiver, target diopter sight, beautiful heavy profile stock and insane accuracy at range...

The M27/66 rifles were custom built for military service rifle competition and sniper training.

This one comes straight from Finland to me.

consideration for the "Showcase"

Fledge

Re: M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by Fledge »

Very nice. You got my vote.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Vary nice target rifle from Finland, What is your bore slugged out at? A good majority of them won't chamber surplus and the bores slug out at 308 or so. They require hand loads but do shoot good. I kind of like the better shooting M39's that will shoot surplus with almost equal accuracy plus maybe saw some battle field action too. This is a specialty marksmanship rifle meant only for competition not a battlefield Milsurp for sure. I have yet to shoot the one I have but being I just bought a Swede CG-63 target rifle. if mine will handle Milsurp some day I will try them both against each other and see what happens?

The target rifles like these are a niche rifle section with little or no military history and never have fired in vain at another human being but they certainly are kind of interesting. Competition rifles in general were really not used much in the field if ever but on the range probably not in training much but for sure in competition which the Europeans excelled at and competition was wide spread and excepted on the continent. A nice example for sure! Congrats on finding it! Bill :wink:
jack57000

Post by jack57000 »

i hand reload with .308/155gr head. i also must shorten the case because there is a tight chamber.
i've tested it a few times at range, bullets are doing a big impact on the target with a super grouping.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

By the way are we talking about a 28/76 and not a 27/66 as you wrote? All these dogone numbers get me confused in my old age! Bill :oops:
Gustro79

Re: RE: Re: M27-66 - heavy pics

Post by Gustro79 »

zeebill wrote:By the way are we talking about a 28/76 and not a 27/66 as you wrote? All these dogone numbers get me confused in my old age! Bill :oops:
That doesn't look like my 28/76... that ring attached to the bolt is the biggest visual difference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
jack57000

Post by jack57000 »

zeebill wrote:By the way are we talking about a 28/76 and not a 27/66 as you wrote? All these dogone numbers get me confused in my old age! Bill :oops:
no typo, it's a 27/66 - the father of the 28-76
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Although a "collectable Mosin", they are not a battle rifle and way post WWII and not really a military rifle, so I don't collect them. But I know a lot of Mosin collectors that do. Not in my wheelhouse.

I don't recall seeing a ring on the rear of any Mosin Nagant. That may not be the case with these things, but is a first for me. I see the rings being offered with the rest of Bubba's stuff, and that makes me wonder. I remember when all of these were released and being sold years back, but don't remember any "rings".???
jack57000 wrote:
no typo, it's a 27/66 - the father of the 28-76
Well, that's new to me. The "predecessor" to the M28-76 has always been the M28-57 as far as I knew. There is very little information on the M27-66 (actually...any). I don't remember them being released for sale. But, I'm not even close to being and expert in these rifles. They were basically put together for their training and shooting teams to compete with.

Dolk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

That is a beautiful M/27-66. That is the correct nomenclature. There should be a metal build up on the receiver to float it. It is an Army Target Rifle and I believe also used as a Sniper Rifle. There were only 300 of them made. On the later M/85 (TKIV-85) they used a block for floating the receiver. That one I believe is a correct M/27-66 and belongs in the showcase.

KH Sold his M/27-66 7 years ago

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... RIFLE-M-91

Here are two more for sale recently

http://www.c96trading.com/

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/10140

As one can see the ring is correct.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I can't wait to see what you post next jack57000

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

capt14k wrote:It is an Army Target Rifle and I believe also used as a Sniper Rifle.
Army Target rifle and shooting contest rifles, but these never were issued as a "sniper" rifle. That is an old story started years ago when they first were released and proven wrong. They were never in action either. Just for shooting competitions only.
Gustro79

Post by Gustro79 »

capt14k wrote:That is a beautiful M/27-66. That is the correct nomenclature. There should be a metal build up on the receiver to float it. It is an Army Target Rifle and I believe also used as a Sniper Rifle. There were only 300 of them made. On the later M/85 (TKIV-85) they used a block for floating the receiver. That one I believe is a correct M/27-66 and belongs in the showcase.

KH Sold his M/27-66 7 years ago

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... RIFLE-M-91

Here are two more for sale recently

http://www.c96trading.com/

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/10140

As one can see the ring is correct.

Capt14k, is there a single Finn posted for sale in the world that you are not somehow aware of? [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

dolk wrote:
capt14k wrote:It is an Army Target Rifle and I believe also used as a Sniper Rifle.
Army Target rifle and shooting contest rifles, but these never were issued as a "sniper" rifle. That is an old story started years ago when they first were released and proven wrong. They were never in action either. Just for shooting competitions only.
I double checked and no the M/27-66 was never issued as a Sniper Rifle. However the M/85 which was developed for competition shooting and based on the M/27-66 was also developed and issued as a Sniper Rifle, but with the nomenclature TKIV-85. Instead of having to attach metal to the receiver they use a hexagonal float block instead between the receiver and barrel to float it.Image

jack57000

Post by jack57000 »

capt14k wrote:I can't wait to see what you post next jack57000

a few post below you have a M28-57, and my strange mark "2" M-39

i bought sunday a strange M44, i will do a post later, and i have in the safe a few winchester, but not sure it s the good forum to show them...

i also have a few polish M44, M39 sky and late production 69/70 and that's all for 7.62x54R caliber.

i like shooting with them, i don't buy too much of them because there will be jealous rifles if they never go at range and some others often...
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

dolk wrote:
The M/28-76 however was issued as a Sniper Rifle with the designation M/76. Thus the reason for the scope mount. Even after the development of the M/85 the M/76 was still part of military armaments as late as 1988 according to Palokangas.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Who is "Palokangas".

And all M28-xx or M27-xx rifles were not issued to the military troops. They were strictly for the Finnish Army Competition shooting team. The rifles you are looking at (M27-xx and M28-xx) were not "sniper rifles. And they were not used by troops in the Finnish army. Other rifle were developed from these rifles for other uses later on. But not these rifles. These are basically not military rifles and post WWII rifles made from WWII rifle basic parts with upgrades.

M/85 the M/76 may have come from this design and may have "looked" close, and may have been issued as snipers later on, but not M28-xx or M27-xx rifles.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

dolk wrote:Who is "Palokangas".

And all M28-xx or M27-xx rifles were not issued to the military troops. They were strictly for the Finnish Army Competition shooting team. The rifles you are looking at (M27-xx and M28-xx) were not "sniper rifles. And they were not used by troops in the Finnish army. Other rifle were developed from these rifles for other uses later on. But not these rifles. These are basically not military rifles and post WWII rifles made from WWII rifle basic parts with upgrades.

M/85 the M/76 may have come from this design and may have "looked" close, and may have been issued as snipers later on, but not M28-xx or M27-xx rifles.
Markku Palokangas the author of Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988.

I was referencing volume 2 pages 113-114.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Dolk with all due respect you are incorrect about the M28/76 they were issued rifles according to two sources from Finland who served in the Army. This confirms what Palokangas wrote

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Following what is written in Finnish in Palokangas's 3 volumes without speaking or reading is time consuming and then absorbing what is actually being written and what it means is nigh to impossible. To my way of thinking unless you have the rifle with the scope in place it is a marksmanship rifle not a sniper. There are so few of these and the fact that we are now taking information on these rifles from former army members makes me think it is not worth arguing over in the end either way. Palokangas decided to eliminate from existence many small volume or single version rifles from his volumes and why he didn't do the same with these type rifles is beyond me as we are sometimes dealing with 50 or less in counts. Some of the above rifles he eliminated do exist as I have them in my possession. Does that mean I should tout them and picture them widely to disprove what Mr. Palokangas has written? I think not. We know these rifles exist as target rifles as we have people in our midst who own them in that form. How many have one in sniper form in their possession? I only know of one that is in that form and it is a put together. Granted they were sold off as surplus many years ago but so were these target rifles. Why doesn't the Capt14k or I or someone else here abouts own one? Maybe because there were so few they were basically inconsequential?
I guess what I am saying is why fret over it if Palokangas can throw away a large amount of rifles from consideration why can't we? Food for thought! Bill
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I find the experimental rifles interesting, but you are correct Bill because there are so many of them and only a few of each type most people are not interested in them.

However the M/28-76 I believe there were 10,000 made. Of which approximately 1,000 were imported into the States. Of the 10,000 M/28-76 likely only a few hundred were used as Sniper Rifles. Alsky got the same info as me, independent of me, from another Finnish Soldier.

As for original configuration I know of 2 in Finland one that maybe here sooner than later. It has the original Wetzler Scope, quick mount, sniper bag and sling.

The M/27-66 was not used as a Sniper Rifle and only 300 were made.

For me what makes the M/27-66, M28/76, M/39-43, M/76, and M/85 interesting is they were all made from recycled Russian Receivers just like the war used rifles.

As for reading Palokangas google translator on phone scan it and it translates the paragraph. Of course it isn't 100%. However if there becomes a part that makes no sense let me know and I can email or whatsapp the section to a friend in Finland.