Getting a new MN

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
willifordg

Getting a new MN

Post by willifordg »

I'm not sure about this one. I don't have any pics yet but I'll get them soon. I put a 1941 Izshvek on layaway today. I would grade the condition somewhere between G and VG. The lands and grooves are in good shape and the barrel is bright, but I noticed some pitting in the barrel near the crown. Its been refurbished as the serial numbers have been force matched. Here's the kicker, the pawn shop is asking $300 for it. I went ahead and put it on layaway to secure it, but I can get my money back. What do y'all think, is it too pricey? This is only my second MN to buy and I absolutely love the 1942 Izhevsk I bought last year. Personally I think its a bit on the high end, but not out of what might be reasonable but I want a second opinion. Should I keep looking?
Cj556

Re: Getting a new MN

Post by Cj556 »

Too much
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

You should be able to get something better, and much less common for $300. I'd pass.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I once paid $25-$40 for rifles in the same condition and date, but these days $200+ is the norm, $300 sounds high to me. Now this may reflect the going rate were you live, and it's right in front of you, you are not shipping it in sight unseen or paying the $35-$45 shipping cost.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can get 'em off GB for $200-230+ Shipping. Tula if you want. Good bore pics, all matching, matching bayonet.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"