Turk GEW

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SA1911a1

Turk GEW

Post by SA1911a1 »

I popped into a pawn today and popped out with a Turk GEW. The rifle is pretty dang nice, a 1889 Steyr. Everything matches except the bolt, which does not have a serial remaining. Even the screws match. This thing was filthy and it had never had the protective grease removed. The screws and barrel band spring were frozen, but a couple of hours work and I am happy with the results.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Turk GEW

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice find, the Turks had two versions of the 88, this one that is mostly the original Steyr, and the other that is almost a Mauser with new barrel, no shroud, Mauser style stock. Some of these Turk 88's can be a bit rough, this is a nicer one, check the headspace, Turk's are known for surprises in that area.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Thanks Jim,

The head space checks out fine, the bore is bright and the rifling is worn but still present, the crown looks perfect. All of the 8mm ammo I have on hand is surplus, so I am going to have to wait until I can get to the store to pick up some American light/sweet.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

She's a beauty. Those greasy Turks sure clean up nice.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very cool find!!! Looks like a Commission rifle vs one of the Turk rebuilds... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice pickup!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

qz2026 wrote:Very cool find!!! Looks like a Commission rifle vs one of the Turk rebuilds... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The Turks re-did the rear sight, mooned the barrel, and marked up the bolt with Farsi script, but the rifle is 99% original 88/05. I have a '90 Spandau that is original to keep it company. I deciphered the two set of unit markings on the barrel bands which gives a lot of depth to the history of the rifle.

The two vertical marks on the barrel shank were light gouges that looked, very much, like hair-line cracks. I had to polish down far enough to determine that they were, indeed, just gouges. I hated to have to mess with the finish, but, even if I don't shoot it, the next owner might and I needed to know for sure that the receiver wasn't ready to come apart.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

There are spray on dyes that are followed with a developer to detect cracks in metal. Your over polish job was not necessary.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, same way we find cracks in engine cylinder heads.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yes, same way we find cracks in engine cylinder heads.
I have never seen the stuff. Where do you get it?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No idea, when I want to know about the condition of a cylinder head I dump it off at the machine shop and tell them to fix and make better. They use kits like these to check for cracks

Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is a bit cheaper to just buy one can of each chemical. https://www.mcmaster.com/#dye-penetrant ... s/=16xwymd
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Do you need the cleaner or would an MEK cleaner, like pvc cleaner, or denatured alcohol do the job?

I take it that you could do a lot of crack tests with one container, so then the question of shelf life arises?

So, do you dye the top of the receiver, in my case then wipe off the surface?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I used a can the other day that is probably 10 years old. I cleaned the part with lacquer thinner. Lacquer thinner is toxic as hell, but is the shit for degreasing. After it is clean you spray on the dye and let it dry.(Just follow the directions on the can) Then you spray on the developer which looks like white powder. If there is a crack, the dye will seep out of the crack into the developer and make reddish stain where the flaw is. If the developer stays white there is no crack.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Fledge wrote:She's a beauty. Those greasy Turks sure clean up nice.
That's what they told me at that Hotel in Istanbul :wink:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

steelbuttplate wrote:
Fledge wrote:She's a beauty. Those greasy Turks sure clean up nice.
That's what they told me at that Hotel in Istanbul :wink:
:chuckles:
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

I will be receiving a Turked GEW88/05 in about the same state and condition as yours. What type of ammo, in specific, is safe? Any new manufacture or just American manufacture?
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I am not sure if it is ever safe to shoot, but, the best bet is to get some Privi from Graf and Sons. It is the cheapest stuff I can find. I looked at a box at Bass Pro and they wanted $42.00 for it. I ain't paying two bucks a round to plink with a 120 year old rifle.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All the components are available for this round, pack your own and pack them to the lightest spec
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Well, I did get impatient and pay two dollars a round for some soft point ammo. The 128 year old returned to service today and did a stellar job.

I shot a 4" group, which, with my eyes and those sights, is a good thing. I was shooting at about 65 yards and it was about 6" high which is probably about right, the windage was correct, so the spread may have been all me. A nice surprise on the range with the flowers blooming, but the weather is quite warm and I about crapped my drawers setting up a target, on uncovering a black snake, who left, stage left, as quick as his or her scales could carry it. Don't fret about the shine on the wood, just a lemon oil wipe-down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum