War trophy K98k

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

War trophy K98k

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This one walked in and was dumped in my lap just yesterday, not kidding, that's exactly what happened. One of the guys who comes to me with " what is it questions". Mostly about knives and bayonets, he has an antique shop and house cleanout business but can't sell guns out of the shop , no FFL, and doesn't know much about them. I bought three nice items off him this week for very good prices, this is the first, German K98k Byf Mauser 1942 ( same as my RC k98k) Mismatched bolt, bolt matches itself, and rifle is matching in all parts except the bolt. Missing handguard, battle damage to the laminated buttstock. Obvious spent bullet impact and some dents that look like blunt force trauma. I spent 12 hours scrubbing off the layers of filth that came from 70 years of storage. Paint splatters, dirt, light rust. The bore is clean and crisp, headspace excellent, crown tight, waffenampts all over it. The story is it comes from the estate of a WW2 veteran who brought the rifle home in 1945, I see nothing on it to make me think otherwise, looks like a typical war trophy right down to the mismatched bolt. Rifles on that pile, bolts on the other, that's how Jerry the German surrendered his arms to US troops in 1945 according to a man I once knew who was there supervising such things. GI Joe helped himself to any rifle he wanted but often didn't bother to search out the matching bolt. This is the rifle so far.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
miner49r

Re: War trophy K98k

Post by miner49r »

[emoji106] [emoji1]
That's so awesome. I wish someone would drop stuff off at my house...

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I got the rifle but it seems the mans entire kit was there, uniforms and other gear went to the shop except for a few things I asked him to bring by next week, cartridge belt and what sounds like an M1 Garand combo tool. He had it all piled up in the attic .
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Beautiful Jim, amazing things like this sit for so many years untouched. Thanks for the pictures...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I will update it when the handguard, cleaning rod, sight hood and sling are on it. Soon I hope to have the 71/84 cleaned up, I just finished cleaning up it's bolt and am calling it a day. I have more K98k bayonets than rifles so I am set there.
Theodore Roosevelt
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

That's fantastic!!!
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

Love the bumper sticker you Deplorable bastard! ;mywink;
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

websterz wrote:Love the bumper sticker you Deplorable bastard! ;mywink;
:thumbsup: :chuckles:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a connection who was getting me a lot of Trump campaign items last year, that is one of the early stickers before he was even the candidate yet, probably worth money now. Now I am off to shop for a handguard.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Very cool. I love to scrubb the nasty ones. Turned out real nice. Very cool.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a connection who was getting me a lot of Trump campaign items last year, that is one of the early stickers before he was even the candidate yet, probably worth money now. Now I am off to shop for a handguard.
I love the bumper sticker too! I've got one of the later Trump Pence on the left side of the bumper and a "Never Hillary" sticker on the right. I relish every time I have been flipped off because of them. :D
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I like to get them like that, at least I know nobodys been humping the markings or anything like that. I know who the veteran was who had this, but I never knew he had it stashed away. Just someone I knew in passing, we never had any conversations, lot of stuff turns up like that. The guys never talked about it and if they ever displayed it then it would have been 50 years ago.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ksbanker wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a connection who was getting me a lot of Trump campaign items last year, that is one of the early stickers before he was even the candidate yet, probably worth money now. Now I am off to shop for a handguard.
I love the bumper sticker too! I've got one of the later Trump Pence on the left side of the bumper and a "Never Hillary" sticker on the right. I relish every time I have been flipped off because of them. :D
Nobody's flipped me off, or even mentioned the sticker, and I have been waiting for anyone to start something over it. To many snowflake crybabies around here I guess, they only start something if they figure they can get away with it, with me all they will get is hurt...badly.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
ksbanker wrote:
Nobody's flipped me off, or even mentioned the sticker, and I have been waiting for anyone to start something over it. To many snowflake crybabies around here I guess, they only start something if they figure they can get away with it, with me all they will get is hurt...badly.
Same here Jim, I've had a big Nobama decal in the back window of my truck for the past 8 years and all I've ever heard is laughs and " Where can I get one of those ".
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

I'm shocked! I get the most negative reaction in Kansas!? Which honestly the majority love it. People wanted to take my picture when I wore my Hillary for Prison t-shirt.
~Sir Winston Churchill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Handguard that is a close match is now on the way, so is a cleaning rod, sight hood and repop sling. I have the original cleaning rod but it broke off flush with the stock. I was able to get it out eventually, it seems to have simply snapped, but wasn't rusted into the stock.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The 71/84 I now know was issued to a Guards Grenadier Regiment 3.G.G.R. R. 10 This one is still being cleaned, and will appear when it's back together.
Theodore Roosevelt