Gew 88?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
King Johhny

Gew 88?

Post by King Johhny »

I have a line on a GEW 88 for $252 shipped to my door since its an antique. The bolt head is missing and it is scrubbed and the guy says it is chambered for 8x57J. Is that a fair price? What markings would indicate it has been converted or had not been converted to 8x57JS? Where could I find a bolt head? Thanks
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Gew 88?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

S stamp if it's been converted, but sometimes they forgot to put it on, always slug the bore in these to be sure. Hard to tell about the price, but it's in the range of normal for something like this.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mwt

Post by mwt »

Even those converted for JS only had the chamber neck relieved for the .323 diameter bullet. Bore will still be in the .318-.321 range. Remchester 170 gr is loaded light with .321 bullets in deference to gew88s.

I handload Speer .321 170 gr over a mild 4064 powder charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
target

Post by target »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_46JBbQIDSQ

I did a little going over with the rifle. They can be awesome rifles and they are very underrated. I shoot mainly the Romanian surplus as it's loaded light with a small diameter bullet OR my .321 170grn over a lower load of IMR4895 loads. Though Germany's first smokeless gun it is still a powerhouse.