Enfield question.

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Enfield question.

Post by millman »

I bought this Enfield about 7 years ago for $170. I got it home, researched it, and found an all matching unmolested #I MkIII*. The only odd thing is the Osterr Gendarmerie stamp on it. Apparently that denotes that it saw post WW2 service in Austria with their Gendarmerie (Police/National guard/Militia type organization) My question is what would this be worth today? Back then I found one that sold on an auction site for $625. I am not looking to sell, but just curious.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
tjtM38

Re: Enfield question.

Post by tjtM38 »

Just wanted to say I love your rifle! :thumbsup: I have three No. 1 MkIII* rifles, and have done a lot of reading, but this is the first I have heard of the rifles being used in Austria post WWII. Therefore, I am no help in answering your question. Sometimes these things are worth what folks will pay for them in the interest of collecting, but I have to say that $675 sounds a bit high to me. :2cents:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I had one with the same mark, a '17 BSA. I sold it about a yr. ago for around $400. Thats sill about the going price. They are fine rifles. You can get a disc for the stock from Liberty Tree.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Enfields have lost value over the last year or so. Based on condition and stamping I would agree with $400.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Thanks guys.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I'd love to have a No. 1 MkIII*
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

The Enfield's around here haven't lost value. I've noticed where No.1 MkIII's have gone up.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Enfield's in my area have been steadily increasing in price also. I still stumble across them pretty often around here too. Around $350.00 is the going rate for Enfield's around here.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Matching very good condition No1 MkIII can get up there in price.

Matching No4s rarely go above $400 and Matching No5s rarely go above $500.

A couple years ago it was tough to find a matching No5 under $650 and No4s were pushing $500.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk