M96/38 Swede mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
racerguy00

M96/38 Swede mauser

Post by racerguy00 »

A coworker asked if I wanted to trade a 91/30 refurb for one of his "old Mausers" since he paid 100 for them years ago and he didn't have a mosin yet. I was surprised when he showed me what it was, and even more surprised he knew what his mauser was and still wanted to trade. Since the lower band is mismatched he was willing to part with it even-up. I let a really nice refurb 29 Tula 91/30 go for it.

Absolutely everything matches except the one band. Bore is like new. There used to be a range card on the stock held in place by a layer of varnish but someone removed it unfortunately. And yes this one flat-out shoots.

I think I did alright :D

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Sonny

Re: M96/38 Swede mauser

Post by Sonny »

Wow you made an excellent trade. :thumbsup:

I was looking at one last week but the guy wanted $550 for it and yes he still has the rifle.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Yep. Fantastic trade! Congrats.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice trade.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You did very well, I picked up a 1904 a couple months ago.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ksbanker

Post by ksbanker »

Nice trade! Looking forward to getting my first Swedish Mauser.
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
~Sir Winston Churchill
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Well done. Nice Rifle.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Congrats! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My 96/38 is a tack driver. I recently took my 1899 96/38 and Venezuelan 24/30 (7mm) out to the range. Was when my club was helping the hunters zero in. Pretty good service for $5. Each station has an observer with a scope. I didn't know they were doing this. Just wanted to shoot the rifles. Even though my club only zeros in at 50 yards, these old iron sight guns were keeping up with the scoped hunting rifles. Had about 5 of the regulars around my table as I was shooting. Something about Milsurp rifles that build crowds at the range. Other than a few yips, the guns were shooting about 1/2 inch groups dead center. The 6.5 and 7 mm rifles are just a joy to shoot.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Does the stock have some crowns right behind the trigger? According to the brass disk your rifle has a like new barrel on it. If it's been re barreled at the arsenal it will have a crown with a letter under it and the same crown with a letter will be stamped on the barrel just in front of the receiver. The letter indicates which arsenal. Could be you have one really fine shooter.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You did very well. I think mine has self-homing bullets. I really enjoy shooting the Swede.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Yes you done very well, that rear sight is a big added plus too.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

The rear sight was standard for all early m96 to m38 rebuilds. It was replaced because it turned out to be too fragile for a military application and by the introduction of the new m/41 round.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: SWEET
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)