Odd Refub Markings on '26 Tula

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
captsupercow

Odd Refub Markings on '26 Tula

Post by captsupercow »

I've been trying to dig a little deeper and learn more about the history of my 1926 Tula and have been having some trouble identifying the refurb markings on the barrel. It kind of looks like a Ukrainian box stamp, but is really hard to tell.

I was wondering if I could pick your brains on it. Also, if it is a box stamp, what does it mean if it's an empty box? Isn't there usually a center vertical strike as well? :vconfused:

Thanks

Photo:
steelbuttplate

Re: Odd Refub Markings on '26 Tula

Post by steelbuttplate »

I believe the Ukranian refurb is a box w/ diagonal line thru. I just pulled out a '25 and is has the diagonal and the other kind. Yours may be one of those unknown marks. Is yours an updated dragoon?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Likely just a poorly struck stamping. Looks like an interesting 5 liner. What's the date on the receiver tang? With the Imperial eagles still on there, I'd expect 1918 or earlier. Would love to see some more photos of the rest of the rifle!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have the same partial stamp on an m38.

I believe it's an square denoting GRAU arsenal #7 in Riga Latvia based on Ratnik's recent book.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Definitely Arsenal #7 in Riga - at the right there are crossed hammers, Arsenal #7 inspection proofmark
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Partial stamps often bring many questions and rarely do we find clear-cut answers I am afraid. Nice rifle and we have a similar one for sale I believe too. Bill :D :D
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

racerguy00 wrote:I have the same partial stamp on an m38.

I believe it's an square denoting GRAU arsenal #7 in Riga Latvia based on Ratnik's recent book.

That has to be the M38 from Kevins! I can always guess by the condition! :lol:

Yeah, I have a few rifles with partial stamps who knows. I guess it was the communist way to make sure folks did their job, stamp it all!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Here is the square without line through on an M38
DSCF2593.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

pix056305127.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

ukraine refurb??
captsupercow

Post by captsupercow »

It is an ex-dragoon I believe. I don't have the best photos of it (from before initial cleanup), but I'll post the small album I have of it Here.
The poor girl was pretty beat up when I got it and buried in cosmoline. All matching except the bolt :vsad: It shoots very well however!

I'm thinking more and more that it is supposed to be the box marking and was mis-struck.