My collection/display of Japanese rifles and carbines

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
burb1989

My collection/display of Japanese rifles and carbines

Post by burb1989 »

During the holidays I acquired enough display material in order to finally display my best Japanese rifles and carbines. So far here's what I've been able to acquire over the span of six years in order from bottom to top, oldest to youngest:
The bottom is a no series Nagoya that has the rear oval sling swivel. It has a mismatched bolt but the bolt is only one number off. It also has a severely defaced mum (hacked to pieces with some kind of punch).
Next up is a series 23 Kokura that has a four digit serial number and a mismatched bolt, however the bolt's number is again only one number off. This one's mum however has been cleanly ground off.
Above that is my series 24 Kokura that I mentioned in an earlier post (mummed, fully matching, etc.).
Next is a series 7 Nagoya that is all matching but the mum has been ground. I bought it as my first arisaka from the vet who ground the mum off himself.
Finally there is my series 40 Jinsen that is all matching but has a ground mum. I purchased it from a friend whose neighbor had given it to him to sell since she and her husband had no one to pass it down to and it was the husband's bring back.

Both of the swords are also direct vet finds as well (the one with the black sheathe was a gift from a family friend whose father picked it up on Kwajalein and the other one I bought from the marine who pulled it out of a cave on Okinawa).
image329.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
burb1989

Re: My collection/display of Japanese rifles and carbines

Post by burb1989 »

My newly done display added a place to show off my type 38s and my new type 30 so again here they are in the same order as the type 99s:
On bottom is my type 30 arisaka mentioned in an earlier post (full mum, mismatched bolt, etc.)
Above that is my no series Koshikawa type 38 with a six digit serial number that had been taken out of service and dubbed a school rifle. I had it looked at by a few experts who helped me with a date of manufacture sometime around 1915. I bought this from the vet who found it in a closet at a school during occupation. The bolt and dust cover are mismatched but match each other.
Next is my series 23 Kokura that is all matching and has a full mum. When I got it from a very good collecting friend it was missing a screw in the butt plate, which has since been fixed. I've taken it out to shoot and it's very accurate.
Above that is my series 2 Kokura carbine that I purchased from a navy vet's estate. It has a full mum and is all matching aside from the dust cover which is only a couple of numbers off. I mentioned it in an earlier post as well.
Finally there is my series 4 Nagoya carbine that has a mismatched bolt and a ground mum. However this one has a beautiful condition stock and it shoots very well. After I received it I noticed that it had been submitted to Fred Honeycutt at one point and is featured by serial number in Honeycutt's second edition of Military Rifles of Japan for its butt plate.

Below those are some of my bayonets I've acquired over the years. I have five others not pictured here in other parts of the display as well.
As a young collector (I'm only 27) and after only been collecting for six years I think I've done a good job with finding these pieces and giving them a great home where they'll be shot on occasion but most of all be viewed and admired by everyone who either comes to my house to visit or comes to my area's biannual military show when I put them up on display.
image331.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Very nice looking collection.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice collection and a nice presentation. I don't collect Japanese Arisakas but I have 8 of them.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: Very nice display!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
burb1989

Post by burb1989 »

Longcolt44 wrote: I don't collect Japanese Arisakas but I have 8 of them.
Same here. My main collecting focus is on military bolt actions from post Civil War through Vietnam but the Japanese militaria makes for a good side display plus with all of the ww2 navy vets still living in my area and tons of vet families here the odds of finding something from the Pacific is pretty high. Now when it comes to German stuff that here is very rare and 9 times out of 10 is a fake.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Awesome display

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice display! :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)