reloading bullets for M44

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
thumbs

reloading bullets for M44

Post by thumbs »

I just picked up my M44 (1947) today. I plan to reload for it but picked up a few boxes or Herters 180gr. on the way home and after shooting plan to reload the brass.

I know to be sure I will have to slug the barrel but in general do these rifles shoot the .308 bullets? The rifle looks brand new with no obvious wear at all the bore looks new.

Just trying to get a starting point.

thanks
tjtM38

Re: reloading bullets for M44

Post by tjtM38 »

I don't think the .308 diameter bullets are going to work. You are right about slugging the barrel of course, but I think you will find that .311 or .312 diameter bullets are going to work much better in the M44.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Yeah your probably right. I just checked the cartridges I just bought. They mic at .310 both PPU and Herters. Have you tried the Hi tek bullets from Missouri Bullet company? I'm actually looking for some medium power loads. Never shot a Nagant but hear the PPU rounds are pretty stout.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Looks like the .303 is the right size. .303 - .311
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

thumbs wrote:Looks like the .303 is the right size. .303 - .311
I reload the Hornady #3131 .3105 diameter 174 grain FMJ as well as the #3130 .312 diameter 174 grain round nose soft point. These have been very consistent performers in the Mosin Nagant M91/30 and I also use them in .303 British and 7.7x58 Japanese.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Thanks again. I went to the shop and measured my .308 bullets. They actually measured .307. Not the way I was hoping to go. Anyway your right no way will that work. As you know I am new to this Mosin Nagant thing. I will slug the barrel tomorrow and tell you what I have. I hope my .32 cal round ball will be big enough to slug the thing. It should they measure .309 to .315. I guess round ball "ain't" round. I hope by the time I tap it into the bore it will bulge out enough to get a good measurement. Anyway it doesn't roll down the barrel. LOL

I'll check out the bullets you suggested.

thanks
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Ok slugged the bore of the M44. I was surprised to see it slugged at .313. Now the question is for that size bore what would be the proper bullet diameter I should use in jacketed and cast?

thanks
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Lyman 314299 at .314" or .315". Try a .312" Hornady interlock for jacketed bullet.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Thanks for letting me know Lyman makes a mold a bit bigger. I am going to try the commercial .311 rounds first. I also ordered a sampler of Hi tek bullets .312 and as tjtm38 suggested the Hornady bullets. I know cast bullets need to be a little generous in diameter. How about jacketed in general. Can they run just a little under size and still maintain accuracy.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

tjtM38 wrote:
I reload the Hornady #3131 .3105 diameter 174 grain FMJ as well as the #3130 .312 diameter 174 grain round nose soft point. These have been very consistent performers in the Mosin Nagant M91/30 and I also use them in .303 British and 7.7x58 Japanese.
Have you ever tried Hornady InterLock Bullets 303 Caliber and 7.7mm Japanese (312 Diameter) 150 Grain Spire Point Box of 100?
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

thumbs wrote:
tjtM38 wrote:
Have you ever tried Hornady InterLock Bullets 303 Caliber and 7.7mm Japanese (312 Diameter) 150 Grain Spire Point Box of 100?
Yes; looking at a partial box of #3120 Hornady 150 GR SP Interlock in front of me right now. I used these in the 7.7 Jap and 7.62x54r. My British Enfield rifles tend to favor bullets heavier than 150 grains. This might be a good bullet to try in the M44. Using a medium burning powder like IMR 4985 and starting with the lower recommended charges will reduce the muzzle flash and result in a very comfortable load to shoot in the carbine length rifle. The fireballs from military loads are cool, but probably not the most accurate for casual paper punching.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Yes thanks. The reason I ask is I can find the 150 locally. I kind a hate to order just one box of bullets and have to pay over the quarter of a price just for shipping. Especially if I'm just testing.

Have you ever tried "the load" using red dot powder? I was pointed to the website and it seems like it might be a good plinking load. Like you were saying above I really don't need to shoot full power loads all the time.

Oh by the way. In the rifles that you tried 3120, at what diameter did those barrels slug?

Thanks
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I am not familiar with loading Red Dot in the round. I stick to what my Hornady manual recommends and that powder is not on the list. To be honest, I have eight M91/30 rifles and two carbines, including an M44 and M38 and I have never slugged any of them. However, in all those rifles, I have had good luck with .311 or .312 daimeter bullets. Out of a 1933 Izhevsk M91/30, the #3131 FMJ gave the best accuracy.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

I was talking to Missouri Bullet company about loads for there Hi Tek bullets. I didn't expect they would give me a load but he did suggest "The Load" . http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/vi ... orum_id=22. Looks very interesting exp for a plinking round. I also saw a vid from Iraqveteran8888 who has used the load. I think it is used with cast bullets. I just ordered a box of Hornady .312. Hornady 3120. Should be in Friday. I'll give the 3131 a try next
entropy

Post by entropy »

tjtM38 wrote:I don't think the .308 diameter bullets are going to work. You are right about slugging the barrel of course, but I think you will find that .311 or .312 diameter bullets are going to work much better in the M44.
Bull. They'll work. They just won't be as accurate as a bullet closer to the bore diameter. 100 Yards and under, you probably won't be able to notice the difference. FWIW, I hunt with .308 bulleted reloads in my Mosins.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

entropy wrote:
tjtM38 wrote:I don't think the .308 diameter bullets are going to work. You are right about slugging the barrel of course, but I think you will find that .311 or .312 diameter bullets are going to work much better in the M44.
Bull. They'll work. They just won't be as accurate as a bullet closer to the bore diameter. 100 Yards and under, you probably won't be able to notice the difference. FWIW, I hunt with .308 bulleted reloads in my Mosins.
Really? When I measured my .308 bullets they ran .307. Now my bore is .313. On my rifle that seems pretty small. Have you slugged your barrel and if so what is the bore diameter? By the way that Really is a surprise not a smarta** Really. LOL
entropy

Post by entropy »

Which barrel? I have several and have shot .308 dia. through most of them with better accuracy than surplus out to 100. The one I usually hunt with has a bore of .311, keeps 150 gr. Hornadys inside 4". My worst Mosin slugged at .314, that was an 1899 Ishevsk with a sewer pipe barrel. It shot everything lousy....by RemChester standards.
I suppose at .313, you'd get better results with .311 Sierras. I had a bunch of the 150 Hornadys, so I thought I'd try 'em. They worked.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I use the 185 gr bullet cast from Lee's .312 mold and they shoot nicely, but even with lower velocity rounds all of mine are gas checked, as the bullet is designed for them. It is easy enough to apply the gas checks when running them through a Lee sizing die. I have shot quite a bit of .308 caliber bullets too, but only out of a M39 so I'm not sure how they would perform in a M44 or 91/30 but I suspect decently. The "load" is 13 grains of Red Dot powder in many .308 caliber rounds and is truly a light load. I loaded some up and liked em with my Lee cast 185 bullets, and was gonna load more but for awhile couldn't find Red Dot. It is a shotgun powder, so naturally the manuals don't show it for rifle rounds.
My very best shooting has been with the Sierra 168 gr .311 bullets. Can't remember the loads without looking in my log book.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

entropy wrote:
Nevertheless, I'll stick with works in my rifles, and I believe the .308 bullets are too small. A .308 practically falls down the bore, and that can't be a good thing.
thumbs

Post by thumbs »

Very interesting guys, thanks. I was doing more research and came across http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm
My numbers are right on the one they listed on their rifle. They said with the .313 grove diameter the .311 should shoot fine. I have some commercial .311 ammo I am going to try today, Herters and PPU. Never loaded GC bullets or shot them. This is my first surplus rifle. All new to me. Even looking into converting steel cases into boxer prime. Idono Have some Hy-Tek from Missouri coming in next week. I think they are .3115. He said there I should start about 1600fps with then. He also stated I may get a little fouling do to the bullet being a little undersized. He didn't know for sure.
I am trying to do as much research as I can. Please keep your info flowing. I will let you know what I find. I have a bunch of calibers I cast for so one more won't make much difference. I am trying to keep the cost of shooting as low as possible but still get good results. I want it both ways. LOL

Next time your in your load book I would appreciate that load with the Lee cast.

Thanks again guys