Another No. 4 Mk 1....

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
awalker1829

Another No. 4 Mk 1....

Post by awalker1829 »

Just picked up this No. 4 Mk 1 today. Bought it locally from a friend for $300. Looks like a BSA rifle due to the mechanism for removing the bolt and the fact that it is not marked for Lithgow. Took it to the shop and cleaned and inspected it. Failed No Go but passed Field (barely, but passing is passing).

Serial Number and year-1942 and 18650.

Matching number on bolt handle.

ImageImage

Discreet import marks-compared to the "LOOK AT ME" billboard style markings now required, worn to the point that it's pretty much illegible.

This number is on the bottom of the buttstock. Rack Number perhaps?

Numbers stamped into the stock pieces appear to match the serial number.

I didn't take a photo of the magazine, but it has a dent in the bottom where the armorer stamped 10812 on it.

So now I have a No. 4 Mk 1 and a No. 4 Mk 1* that became a No. 4 Mk 1/3 FTR.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Another No. 4 Mk 1....

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Looks like you need a No4 Mk2 next. Don't get started on the No1 Enfields it's never ending. Very nice. I have a fondness for Enfields.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

capt14k wrote:Looks like you need a No4 Mk2 next. Don't get started on the No1 Enfields it's never ending. Very nice. I have a fondness for Enfields.

Too late there. I already told my friend I'm interested in his No. 1. He also knows that I'm interested in his k98 and another
German commission rifle and this odd semiautomatic rifle that was manufactured for the Communists in Cuba. The thing I like about this on is that aside from the import marks, it looks to be unmolested. The No. 4 Mk 1*/3 (F) FTR is nice in that it is complete and has no import marks-nothing hidden under the handguards.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

The action on the Enfield is just so smooth. Nice pick up! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Closer inspection of the markings shows that this is a ROF Maltby rifle. I really need to take some photographs of the Cuban rifle next time I get a chance. That way, I can research the thing and make a reasonable offer on it. It is a rather strange looking rifle compared to most milsurps you come across regularly.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: Maltbys serials start with a 1 :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I got it out to the range this afternoon and put fifty rounds through it to see how well it shoots. Really good is an understatement.
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Another No. 4 Mk 1....

Post by capt14k »

awalker1829 wrote:
capt14k wrote:Looks like you need a No4 Mk2 next. Don't get started on the No1 Enfields it's never ending. Very nice. I have a fondness for Enfields.

Too late there. I already told my friend I'm interested in his No. 1. He also knows that I'm interested in his k98 and another
German commission rifle and this odd semiautomatic rifle that was manufactured for the Communists in Cuba. The thing I like about this on is that aside from the import marks, it looks to be unmolested. The No. 4 Mk 1*/3 (F) FTR is nice in that it is complete and has no import marks-nothing hidden under the handguards.
Is the Cuban a FAL type? Basically a G1? That's the only Cuban Rifles I have ever seen available other than a vz52. If it is a FAL type grab it. They go over $2,000.

awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Looks like its a VZ52.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

You need a MKV trials rifle as well
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"