Heavily used and abused 41 Izhevsk m38 non-import marked

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Heavily used and abused 41 Izhevsk m38 non-import marked

Post by racerguy00 »

Picked up this carbine a little while ago and finally got decent pictures. It's a 41 Izhevsk with a refurb mark but is about as far away from a refurb as you can get. Non-import marked, 100% non matching, very rough condition stock with lots of cracks. Some are held together by brass nails. The handguard is held together with wire or staples. Bore is too far gone for anything but making fireballs at this point. Thin wire hangers also. No real story to go with this except the tag saying Vietnam bringback but I've never heard of an m38 turning up there. Korea maybe? Who knows. In any case it's earned a nice retirement to wall hanger status.

On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
King Johhny

Re: Heavily used and abused 41 Izhevsk m38 non-import marked

Post by King Johhny »

Nice! If only she could talk!
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The finish on this rifle is oil and monsoon mud junglefied. Not to be tried at home. I had a VC SKS with the same little handmade nails in a wrist repair. :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That looks like a tired warrior. Nice find!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Alsky

Post by Alsky »

Here is a link to an M91/30 that once owned ( traded it off last winter) with some similar features. No import markings on my rifle and the seller that I bought it from said it came from Korea. Both rifles having the staples used to repair the cracks in the hand guard. I had believed that my rifle was SCW but with your rifle being dated 1941 and the similar traits I now have second thoughts.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -Pic-Heavy
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Alsky wrote:Here is a link to an M91/30 that once owned ( traded it off last winter) with some similar features. No import markings on my rifle and the seller that I bought it from said it came from Korea. Both rifles having the staples used to repair the cracks in the hand guard. I had believed that my rifle was SCW but with your rifle being dated 1941 and the similar traits I now have second thoughts.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -Pic-Heavy

Wow. Sure looks similar. Thanks for posting that link.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Racer many of the T53's he had looked similar to that rifle and had older white SKS slings through those lighter gauge wire sling swivels. I often questioned their similar appearance. They all came to him from century in the 05 to 07 time period from the tags. Gosh do those things ever emote questions the answers to I feel went to the grave with Kevin. This really points out to me the unescapable fact that we never know when our time has come till its too late. Bill :o
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Interesting piece.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Great piece Racer. Whoever had this rifle cherished it as evidenced by all the unique repairs. Most likely it not only kept them alive for some time but I would bet it wasn't taken easily.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice one! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I remember seeing a real beater M-38 at a gun show about 3 years ago. I could have had it for about $50. Was very similar to yours but not with the staples and those hanges etc... Wish I would have brought it home.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

I agree that a gun like this is far more likely to traveled through North Korea than Vietnam. But could it have seen both theaters? North Korea did supply aid to North Vietnam in a limited capacity.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Now that has some history. Id love a rifle like that