Interesting m44 for 155 dollars

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
uberjon

Interesting m44 for 155 dollars

Post by uberjon »

I can't resist picking up any mosin I consider to be a deal. I won this one from gunbroker with only 4 pictures to go from without knowing the year or anything else other than it was missing the extractor (which I had one extra of). It arrived this week and I found out a little more. The bolt does not match but the rest of the numbers do. It is from 1945 but the markings are barely visible and it has a very strange finish like it was neglected and reblued or something. The bolt is extremely dark and looks blued but it might just be patina. The same metal wear on the gun is shown on the stock estucheons but stock is actually extremely nice otherwise. The name Ian is etched into the stock. It is refurbished. Any opinions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Re: Interesting m44 for 155 dollars

Post by steelbuttplate »

That one's been rusted to hell and buffed and reblued. For the price it's a nice M-44, laminate stock, most '45's are great shooters, most likely sighted to shoot with bayonet locked on. How's the bore? :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

steelbuttplate wrote:That one's been rusted to hell and buffed and reblued. For the price it's a nice M-44, laminate stock, most '45's are great shooters, most likely sighted to shoot with bayonet locked on. How's the bore? :thumbsup:
Bore is surprisingly nice considering the outside.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Good deal, problem starting to crop up now with these is that the refurbs have been in country long enough now that all sorts of shit can have happened to them, and even repairs now look as old as original Soviet work. Any typical Soviet refurb stamps on it? Canadian troops fought in the same lovely garden spots as US troops did and brought home the same trophy's, except for the pitting that looks just like a 1945 Izhevsk a Korean war vet I knew owned. Nice of Ian to put his name on the stock so you would know who at least one previous owner had been.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

It has a refurb stamp on the barrel shank. One more piece of info I forgot is it isn't import stamped (at least not one that is visible any more if there was one).
entropy

Post by entropy »

steelbuttplate wrote:That one's been rusted to hell and buffed and reblued. For the price it's a nice M-44, laminate stock, most '45's are great shooters, most likely sighted to shoot with bayonet locked on. How's the bore? :thumbsup:
Almost looks beadblasted. Well, for the price, you can't go wrong! 8-)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is what I was thinking. Bead blasted to removed rust. You bought it right.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

Cool

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30