Mauser question

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Witchdoctor

Mauser question

Post by Witchdoctor »

Hello all, I have been looking at the FR8 style Mauser, looks like a really cool little carbine sized rifle I would like to add to my collection, don't however see many at all I can find for sale, does anyone know what these types of rifles should be going for, are they a reliable shooter, have all the models been rechambered or do any come in 7 or 8 x 57 ? Don't know much about them other than its interesting looking, any info would be great, thanks.
capt14k

Re: Mauser question

Post by capt14k »

The FR8 was re-chambered from 8mm Mauser to .308 or 7.62x51mm. They go for $350-450. Top condition with bayonet and sling as high as $500. They are a nice little rifle. The FR7 I would avoid because they were re-chambered from 7mm Mauser and actions are not as strong to handle the 7.62x51 NATO.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

That was another issue was the difference between the 7 and the 8, that answers that for me, I'm taking it that the chamber itself is a heavier wall and will handle the modification.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

300-450 in my experience
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Mauser question

Post by capt14k »

Witchdoctor wrote:That was another issue was the difference between the 7 and the 8, that answers that for me, I'm taking it that the chamber itself is a heavier wall and will handle the modification.
I believe that is part of the reason. All FR7 and FR8 have been converted to .308. Unconverted FR7 would be small ring Spanish M1916 Mauser and unconverted FR8 would be large ring Spanish M1943 Mauser.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I've seen a few of these on GunBroker off and on in the last couple of months. The prices above seem to be in the ball part but seller's are getting a bit crazy with their pricing on everything lately. The ones I have seen, however, are not in very good condition. Don't shoot .308 through these. Only 7.62x51mm NATO. That would go for virtually all of the ".308" conversions.

Good luck. These ARE cool little rifles.