Victory! VKT M39 from Classic with multiple cracks in hand guard and stock.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Schlittface

Victory! VKT M39 from Classic with multiple cracks in hand guard and stock.

Post by Schlittface »

This post would have went on my original thread but it has been locked down from further comments.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=27896

I contacted classic yesterday asking them if they had decided to refund $100 off of my Standard Grade VKT M39 that I received that was cracked all to h**l. So this morning I check my email and they said If I wish to keep this rifle they would be more than happy to issue a $100 refund. So I said of course I want to keep it and low an behold they have issued a $100 refund. So at least they have made things right when they could of givin me the stiff upper lip.
One of the greatest revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely, somehow vulnerable, bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time.
-Carl Sagan
ffuries

Re: Victory! VKT M39 from Classic with multiple cracks in hand guard and stock.

Post by ffuries »

Great that they owned up and did that for you. Could have gone either way.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

At least you're happy.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Shocker! All that crap and they finally do something you are satisfied with. Glad I don't have to do business with them. I like having a gun in my hands when I decide whether I want to buy it and make an offer. Easier to deal with sellers that way and you can walk away most times with no hard feelings and satisfied feelings on both parts buy or not. Now I guess you need to find a new stock for the rifle huh? I saw where you got a hand guard and by the way I don't like Tom's as far as most knowledgeable Finn's speak they never used it but suit yourself as the rifle will be reconstructed anyway. Shoot and enjoy it! Bill :wink:
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

Good to hear
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Schlittface

Post by Schlittface »

zeebill wrote:Shocker! All that crap and they finally do something you are satisfied with. Glad I don't have to do business with them. I like having a gun in my hands when I decide whether I want to buy it and make an offer. Easier to deal with sellers that way and you can walk away most times with no hard feelings and satisfied feelings on both parts buy or not. Now I guess you need to find a new stock for the rifle huh? I saw where you got a hand guard and by the way I don't like Tom's as far as most knowledgeable Finn's speak they never used it but suit yourself as the rifle will be reconstructed anyway. Shoot and enjoy it! Bill :wink:
I too like to have a gun in my hands before buying it and understand 100% why people don't like buying sight unseen, but I've done it many times and have never really been that upset, even with this purchase now that they gave me $100 back and will continue to do so in the future. I'll just make sure I fully inspect them before accepting the transfer. Also I chose Toms Pine Tar Mix because I believe it to be the closest to the original way the Finns finished their stocks available on the market today, besides if I was to locate some authentic Finnish Pine Tar. What would you recommend? I've heard 50/50 Pine Tar and Turpentine, also 1/3 Mix of Pine Tar, BLO, and Turpentine And just Raw Pine Tar that is what is in Toms Pine Tar Mix, it's not Finnish Pine Tar but Swedish.
One of the greatest revelations of the age of space exploration is the image of the earth finite and lonely, somehow vulnerable, bearing the entire human species through the oceans of space and time.
-Carl Sagan
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Glad you got Your discount. If your gonna have to put finish on a new stock, it's not gonna be original no matter what you use......so....I think were it me I'd go with Tung oil. It makes a beautiful smooth finish, not too shiny, and it hydrates the wood making it last. Pine tar won't do that, might make a helluva mess.:2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Glad it worked out to your satisfication. I wonder how many folks don't complain and get screwed.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Congrats OP maybe all the negative posting about Classic from people like myself is having a positive effect. I know they all read the forums. I had a little laugh on the phone with one of the dealers last week regarding my posts (wasn't The Mosin Crate). If they read them Classic certainly does too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Almost as if someone reached out and explained to them what happens to dealers who get a shit reputation for not taking care of their customers. Some of the said customers have very long memory's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Almost as if someone reached out and explained to them what happens to dealers who get a shit reputation for not taking care of their customers. Some of the said customers have very long memory's.
Yes don't we! Whoops! Bill :lol:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:Glad you got Your discount. If your gonna have to put finish on a new stock, it's not gonna be original no matter what you use......so....I think were it me I'd go with Tung oil. It makes a beautiful smooth finish, not too shiny, and it hydrates the wood making it last. Pine tar won't do that, might make a helluva mess.:2cents:
The Finns didn't use tung oil. One of our Finnish members told us one time what they actually did use, and I was surprised. I would have thought they used pine tar cooked in with heat, but that didn't seem to be the case. I don't think they used Toms 3n1 fantasy mix either. Who remembers what was really used. Seems like some sort of stain and Pomo (whatever the hell that is) lacquer. On some models anyway.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Refinish stock is not restoration.
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

Only arsenal stock work is real. The rest is Bubba. No restoration there. What part of stock work brings it up to restoration?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

OK, :facepalm2: I'm not talking about restoration. NEW stock. No finish. It was the buyer talking about pine tar. If he wants to go to Finland and use Pomo laquer that's fine. It still won't be original. :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

zeebill wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Almost as if someone reached out and explained to them what happens to dealers who get a shit reputation for not taking care of their customers. Some of the said customers have very long memory's.
Yes don't we! Whoops! Bill :lol:

Yet you can't remember where you put half of your rifles :lol:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never forget being screwed over, and I have no problem delaying my revenge for a more opportune time.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I learned a long time ago, If you punch somebody in the face it will heal. If you get in to a man's wallet he will never forget.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

You can have a firearm, and you can have a temper, but should not have both.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Maine 20th wrote:You can have a firearm, and you can have a temper, but should not have both.
Who said anything about a temper? I give back what is given to me, treat me professionally and you will receive the same in return, screw with me and I will return it in kind. As for firearms, I have been carrying for a very long time, three times I have had to remove my firearm from it's holster someplace other than my nightstand or the range, nobody is dead because of it. One time I had every legal provocation to return fire, that person is alive also, just short a firearm. Of course that was long ago and I am older now, no longer able to run, dodge bullets, drop and roll, point a weapon in my direction now and pull the trigger you better make it a one shot kill, cause otherwise I will kill you.

Everybody has a temper, everyone, even the Pope in Rome, some people have a temper and no brains. I don't know anyone like that myself, then I don't spend a lot of time around murderous felons. Murderous felons existing in the world amongst us is one reason why I carry a firearm.
Theodore Roosevelt