Extra parts to have on hand

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chas100

Extra parts to have on hand

Post by Chas100 »

I was reading a thread about parts on Sarco's website. That got me thinking as to what parts and accessories are a good idea to have on hand. My other milsurps I keep springs, bolt refresh kits and a few other parts with some of them just parts that are correct for the firearm in case I'd like to go that route.

I have the cleaning kit (actually a few) but any ideas on what parts. Obviously a firing pin but anything else ? I like to have parts that have a tendency to wear or break on hand mostly so the firearm isn't out for a while but also even though most parts are pretty available now you never know what the status will be 5 to 10 years from now.

Thank you for any info !
Chas
TulaTom

Re: Extra parts to have on hand

Post by TulaTom »

Extractors.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

TulaTom wrote:Extractors.
:pointup: +1
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Pins and screws.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

interruptor/ejector

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Most of the parts in that Sarco "kit" are things that hardly get broken or lost, so I'm sure they have a huge stack of them to get rid of.

I wanted the bolt head and it never hurts to have another spare firing pin. It was $5 cheaper to buy the kit than the two parts separately, so I got it.

I have 6 MN's now so maybe some day I MIGHT need one of the other parts. Some of these fellas have lots more MN's and you never know when something could get compromised.
BOHICA
Chas100

Post by Chas100 »

Well it looks like I need to start shopping around. When I did a complete disassemble when I first got it the parts all looked like fresh out of the box new. I didn't notice any part that scruff or any marks of any kind but you never know especially firing pins and springs that are taking pretty good hits every round fired.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When T-53s were two for $120.00 shipped, I bought about ten from Omega I kept the good ones and parted the ones with no bores. My parts drawer is full. I had also bought some descent stock from ebay when they were selling for $10.00. I could probably build at lest three complete rifles from parts.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Anyone know where to get extractors reasonable$$$?? Liberty Trees are almost as much as an intact bolthead.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

steelbuttplate wrote:Anyone know where to get extractors reasonable$$$?? Liberty Trees are almost as much as an intact bolthead.
I've only removed one extractor from a Mosin... Vowed to just leave them alone after that.

I would buy the $22 Liberty Tree Extractor that's not already in a bolt. They can be a bear to get out intact sometimes.

In fact; Buy two. When they run out & no one has them anymore your $22 spare will be worth $40.

Good luck.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got one extractor worn out in a bolt, one bolt head that doesn't have the extractor. I'm guessing these knock out by driving them away from the bolt face, with the bolt head in a vice ? Then tap the new one in with it aligned in grooves? :vconfused:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

steelbuttplate wrote:I've got one extractor worn out in a bolt, one bolt head that doesn't have the extractor. I'm guessing these knock out by driving them away from the bolt face, with the bolt head in a vice ? Then tap the new one in with it aligned in grooves? :vconfused:
I broke my first extractor this Summer on a rifle that was only parts no matter how you cut it. Try this it works great usually. I use a decent Wooden work table and drill a 1/2 inch hole trough the table top. Get yourself a good Brass hammer that is smaller in size to use on just about anything you'll find. Take the bolt head and face the back of it down over the hole so there is a place for the extractor to go down through. Tap the end of the extractor sticking out of the bolt head downward so it exits the bolt head into that hole and put something under there to catch it. I use to just put an old coffee can under there but now I use a big old towel after missing the coffee can so many times and being forced to hunt for it. You will usually find crud in the slot the extractor sits in on the bolt head and that is why a lot of them come off here for a safety check and safe operation. If you don't do that I don't care how much cleaning and solvent and air blasting you do there is junk in that slot after that rifle has been shot. I will admit most times it lives there without causing any problems but that one time you are having problems that seem to not be getting solved by other ways that crud can be the actual problem!

The new one will tap into place with little or no effort and usually stay there forever. I heartily recommend buying any spares you can find with reasonable prices from private sources as most commercial places today charge 400% to 500% profit margins or more for their parts. Right or wrong rest assured they are robbing most people blind just because they have the parts in this country. It isn't right but that is what it is! Good Luck looking as today many people see the prices commercial sources are selling stuff at and price accordingly. See me at a Gun Show and most times I have what you need or can get it. I will not ship stuff for the most part so don't bother to email or PM. All the money goes to Kevin's widow and I just want to keep it that way small and personal. Joe and I just are collectors like you folks and we like it that way. Parts after I am long gone may indeed, if certain people are elected, may not even be able to enter into the shipping channels we have available today and if you watch the trends they are getting less and less too. Grab everything you can if possible as you never know what we will need in the future. ;mywink; Bill
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Sounds good Bill and thanks. I found some new Finn extractors on E-bay, they weren't there a week ago. Get some while you can. :wink:
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I would think that extractors, interrupters, sear springs, firing pin springs and firing pins would be the items that would be most likely to break or get worn over time. I wish I had bought spare parts a few years ago when they were cheaper--$18-22 for an extractor seems pricey to me. But, that's the going rate for them at this point in time.
Mosin Fanboy