Tula vs Izhevsk

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Grinder

Tula vs Izhevsk

Post by Grinder »

Which is the more sought after factory to have made the Mosin Nagant and why.
Fledge

Re: Tula vs Izhevsk

Post by Fledge »

Folks seem to like Tula's more. Not because they are better quality. Probably because they have a nice looking barrel shank stamping.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

There is no rhyme or reason why people prefer one over the other. One arsenal is not "better" than another. For some reason, people started getting it out there that Tula was more sought after, possibly because of the star stamp. They both have a great history to them and both arsenals should be
just as equally held high in a person's eye, IMO.
It's kind of like when someone wants an M39..they just HAVE to have the precious little SAKO gear logo for some reason.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Same rifle made the same way to the same specs. Some people like the Star stamp of Tula, I suspect because it is more recognizably "commie" than the Izhevsk crest, as if that would endear it more to me or anyone who lived as an adult during the Cold War. Some wartime Izhevsk rifles have a rough finish, so do Tula made ones in 1943 but this does not impact performance or safety. It's a matter of personal preference I suppose, like M39's with some people liking Sako over VKT or Tikka over both, all the same damn rifle but for the markings.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Not a dime's worth of difference to me. In fact, my Izhevsk M91/30 rifles are my best shooters.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

So its just cosmetic, people just want a star. Ok thanks.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Same rifles. No difference.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

The more subtle difference may be the "sense" of history conveyed by each factory. The three principal manufacturing sites had distinctively different histories. This may be a bit abstract, but the history of a rifle is tied to and invokes the history of the armaments factory from which it came.

For example, a post-1941 Tula M91/30 is a rifle pressed back into production when production of the SVT-40 was cut back, and after Tula was nearly overrun in late 1941 by the Second Panzer Army.

Izhevsk had its own share of drama at the start of the Civil War in 1918 as one of the principal cities that revolted against the Bolsheviks, arming some 4,000 former Czarist soldiers and officers (who also had no desire to be conscripted into the Red Army and sent God knows where).

Sestroryetsk, being the most strategically vulnerable of the plants, had a much more truncated history, understandably associated with the period up through the Revolution.

So yes, mechanically and operationally the same rifle, but to the collector a different historic artifact from each site.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

ParrotHead wrote:There is no rhyme or reason why people prefer one over the other. One arsenal is not "better" than another. For some reason, people started getting it out there that Tula was more sought after, possibly because of the star stamp. They both have a great history to them and both arsenals should be
just as equally held high in a person's eye, IMO.
It's kind of like when someone wants an M39..they just HAVE to have the precious little SAKO gear logo for some reason.
What he said a thousand times over with even more common sense added to taste! :o Bill
MosinGunner1102

Post by MosinGunner1102 »

This is going to be an interesting thread haha. As for my personal preference, 1920's Izhevsk rifles, and 1930's Tula rifles are among my favorites in my collection.
1941 VKT Finnish M39 (Izhevsk Reciever 1905) "Serena"
1927 Izhevsk Mosin Nagant 1891/30 (Updated Dragoon) "Алина"
1938 Tula Mosin Nagant 1891/30 "Надежда"
1945 Izhevsk M1944 Carbine " Сáша"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Tula, because: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1zxOTDHIBQ

No difference in the quality, workmanship, or performance.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I'm sure I'm way off but for those collectors who swear by and not at the "Rarity List" there are quite a few more Tula's listed there than Izhevsk. If you just look by name at Tula or Izhevsk listings there are 6 Tula's over an 8 rating and only 2 listings for Izhevsk that are an 8 or better. Maybe they gravitate to the Tulas because they feel they are more collectable from what they have read there and on some forums.

Most of the time when your read, "Its a Tula!" it usually says FOR SALE in the previous line.Its a good thing for you guys selling your collections. If someone is willing to pay more for the exact same rifle because it has a star on it then why explain to them that there is no difference in the product. :geek:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

NLMosin wrote:I'm sure I'm way off but for those collectors who swear by and not at the "Rarity List" there are quite a few more Tula's listed there than Izhevsk. If you just look by name at Tula or Izhevsk listings there are 6 Tula's over an 8 rating and only 2 listings for Izhevsk that are an 8 or better. Maybe they gravitate to the Tulas because they feel they are more collectable from what they have read there and on some forums.

Most of the time when your read, "Its a Tula!" it usually says FOR SALE in the previous line.Its a good thing for you guys selling your collections. If someone is willing to pay more for the exact same rifle because it has a star on it then why explain to them that there is no difference in the product. :geek:
We take the time to tell the truth here as this forum is for the collectors of the Mosin Nagant and other milsurps,not a forum based on how much money can be made off a particular rifle's markings. Some of the most expensive milsurp rifles to be found have been shown on this forum with no monetary value said or told.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!