What is the value of a Vietnam bring back?

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lcrask

What is the value of a Vietnam bring back?

Post by lcrask »

Talk to a neighbor who has a friend that has one and might sell it. He has the paperwork. Any idea what it night be worth.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What is the value of a Vietnam bring back?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh boy, that could be anything, half a Charlie helmet for a buck to a Hungarian PU sniper for several grand. Way more information is needed. I have some Vietnam bringhome weapons, French Lebel carbine, Chinese type 53, Chinese SKS, Hungarian sniper, they vary widely in price these days. Pictures or at least accurate description is needed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
thughes

Post by thughes »

I think we're discussing an SKS (as this is posted in the SKS forum.....) :wink:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would think that the provenance would double the value for me, so that would put it around $300.00. That could change a lot if the soldier on the transfer papers was a hero or a villain.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: What is the value of a Vietnam bring back?

Post by capt14k »

SA1911a1 wrote:I would think that the provenance would double the value for me, so that would put it around $300.00. That could change a lot if the soldier on the transfer papers was a hero or a villain.
You must be in Canada. I envy you guys everytime a SKS or SVT is brought up. If you didn't have to pin them to 5, and didn't elect the most liberal politician this side of Barry, it would make me want to move there. Back to the question at hand. To me it adds nothing to the value but I have seen Chinese SKS with full documentation brought home from Vietnam sell for right around $1,000. A good condition Chinese SKS I've seen right around $500. So I agree with our friend up North, it about doubles the value.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I thought we were talking about a T-53. And, no, I am not in Canada. But in Florida, we wouldn't pay more than $325.00 for a Chinese SKS, and I still would figure double that for one with papers. Last year I bought a pristine Chinese SKS with all of the trimmings and 500 rounds of ammo for $350.00, and I didn't think either or the buyer or the seller was skinned. Others may pay more or less.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

To me, proper documentation would definitely increase the value. But I wouldn't want to pay it when I can get a similar rifle for less.

I would almost relate it to a numbers matching muscle car vs. an identically spec clone.

#CamBrady2017
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
mproko

Post by mproko »

SA1911a1 wrote:I thought we were talking about a T-53. And, no, I am not in Canada. But in Florida, we wouldn't pay more than $325.00 for a Chinese SKS, and I still would figure double that for one with papers. Last year I bought a pristine Chinese SKS with all of the trimmings and 500 rounds of ammo for $350.00, and I didn't think either or the buyer or the seller was skinned. Others may pay more or less.
I've seen shops up here actually sell Chinese sks for $500. I'm not talking about on the shelf but witnessed someone buy it. Nothing spectacular about it just a run of the mill one. Welcome to ny state lol. I actually just talked some guy out of a nothing special Chinese for 450-500ish. I recommended he buy a yugo from southern Ohio or find the right Russian.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chinese SKS rifles sold in huge numbers here in NY back in the day, I can recall entire tables heaped with them at flea markets, prices $75 or less. They are all still here someplace, packed away in attics or the back of closets.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

True, my type 53 would cost you several grand, you don't want to know what the PU would go for, a new land rover would be cheaper.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Properly papered Chinese SKS bringbacks are in the $8-1,200 range. Just a few years ago, they were creeping near $1,500, but they have dropped off recently.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I had a pal (R.I.P.) that brought back a Vietnamese woman. He said she was worth the trouble. He was wise, only taught her to speak about a dozen words in English :shifty:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Ultra wrote:As always, the value of an item boils down to what someone will pay for it...

Hence, answers to questions like these vary wildly!

Very very true!