Picking this up Saturday

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Burrhead

Picking this up Saturday

Post by Burrhead »

Well next week this poor Hillbilly is turning 65, Medicare here I come! Anyway I'm picking this uno for me from me and so on this weekend IF I DON"T WORK! It's on hold so I've got it all locked in.
Now this is from me what should I have the Boss get me? I got a lot of ideas including another Mauser that has been offered to me suppose to be all matching Argentine 1909. We will see.
Burrhead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Picking this up Saturday

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Do not pass on the Argentine '09, I have one, it's the nicest made Mauser GEW98 the factory ever put out. Only downside is it's not 7.92mm, but nothings ever perfect.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Is it 7.65x53 Argentine? I have a Lee Loader for this cartridge. That looks nice Burrhead. 65 huh? Well congrats buddy.
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

7X57 and bore look almost new. Thanks and ya 65 I am pushing that number. I hope to retire in two more years if all goes as planned. Then I can really get on my hobby.
Burrhead
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have been looking for an Argentine Mauser rifle. I have the Engineers Carbine. Are you sure that rifle is in 7mm? My carbine and the rifles I have seen are in 7.65X53.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
gurn

Post by gurn »

I've only see them in 7.65 also.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

I picked up the rifle today I worked Saturday and Sunday I have the rifle down stairs waiting to be cleaned up. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Nice gun. I just got in contact with a seller here and he's holding a M16 Lebel carbine for me to pick up at the end of the week. Complete gun (all military hardware present in good condition: sling, bayonet, clips) in good condition and he's local. I'll post pics when I have it in hand. Got a few years before I can retire-I'm turning 40 this year. However, I've got enough time in that I'll be eligible to take full state retirement when I turn 54. Our state's retirement system is rated one of the best public retirement funds in the nation, so there's reasonable certainty as to getting full benefits. If I work a couple of years more, I also get a bigger pension check.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

So Burrhead, are you surprised that you lived to be that old? I am a few months behind you and I am amazed!

That is a gorgeous rifle. I have the 1891 Argentine in 7.65 x 53 and it is a pleasure to shoot. I have not been able to find an '09 that I was willing to pay the price for, but maybe, one day. PPU makes ammo for the rifle but it is a bit pricey to shoot, but then again, I got spoiled on ten cent Ruskie ammo.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Burrhead

Post by Burrhead »

SA1911a1 wrote:So Burrhead, are you surprised that you lived to be that old? I am a few months behind you and I am amazed!

That is a gorgeous rifle. I have the 1891 Argentine in 7.65 x 53 and it is a pleasure to shoot. I have not been able to find an '09 that I was willing to pay the price for, but maybe, one day. PPU makes ammo for the rifle but it is a bit pricey to shoot, but then again, I got spoiled on ten cent Ruskie ammo.
Amazed is the understatement of the century! The thing is I don't intend to let my age slow me down. But has sure enough touched my eyes. As to the Argentine's I have a nice scrubbed 1891 I shoot and I shoot a 174 grain round nose through her. So I have to look at moving to spire point soon as I get my O.T. check next week. My shooting buddy is really jealous of the 1909 as his isn't matching and has a pretty bad bore but it isn't scrubbed. So far this year has been good to me in finding some interesting rifles, wish I could buy the other two I have located But you can't have everything.
Burrhead