Gunboards Latest Firearms Forum to be Sold to Vertical Scope

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
capt14k

Gunboards Latest Firearms Forum to be Sold to Vertical Scope

Post by capt14k »

I assume this forum has nothing to do with gunboards. Assuming it does not is there any plans to sell to Vertical Scope as well? I am trying to put together a list of forums that have been sold to them. Wondering if others can help out so we can track developments post sale.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gunboards Latest Firearms Forum to be Sold to Vertical Scope

Post by millman »

This forum is not affiliated with gunboards, and I believe I can safely say that it is not for sale.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
capt14k

Re: RE: Re: Gunboards Latest Firearms Forum to be Sold to Vertical Scope

Post by capt14k »

millman wrote:This forum is not affiliated with gunboards, and I believe I can safely say that it is not for sale.
I am happy to hear that. I think this forum may see a large increase in traffic. I for one would be willing to pay monthly to keep this forum free from corporate ownership.

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

What is vertical scope? I am on a few of the forums at GB, but haven't been over there in a while.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

millman wrote:What is vertical scope? I am on a few of the forums at GB, but haven't been over there in a while.
Looks like a Canadian media conglomerate. Not sure about them buying Gunboards, I don't dig it.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I hope it is not true, but if it is it will be the transition from an established gun enthusiast, owned and operated web site to a new commercial venture. I am sure the corporate owners will share the same passion as the founders, and the site won't be mined for the almighty advertising dollar.

I couldn't blame the owners, it is their personal property to dispose of as they see fit.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I like gunboards WTS forum. I hope they don't screw that up.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Vertical Scope is as stated a Candadian Media Conglomerate that owns over 100 newspapers and over 600 forums and has been on a firearm forums buying spree. 30 and counting. And yes Vic has confirmed the sale. News leaked due to sponsors posting they were getting spam from Vertical Scope saying they owed $600. Then I posted asking if it was true that the forum was sold and Vic confirmed it. It is now a long thread, that turned into how most gunboards threads do when there is any difference of opinion, way off topic and arguing.

Here is link to official statement from Vic post #4

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... m-for-this
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Fledge wrote:I like gunboards WTS forum. I hope they don't screw that up.

If their history repeats itself it will now cost $50 to place an ad. In the thread I linked Vic eluded that this may happen, Stating that they thought of charging themselves for classified ads.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Well however it worked out is water under the bridge. Time will tell how they will be affected & I wish them the best.

Moving on....
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

As one of the administrators on this site I will add to millman's statement in saying that dolk and JYD are not interested in selling this forum to anyone. They fought hard to continue this forum when the former owner pulled the plug on the original Russian Mosin Nagant site. I feel safe in saying, we are not only a preservation forum as to firearms but to big business as well. Personally I can't wait to see JYD's response to this.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

We have been approached a few times to sell the forums (to be added to other forums). The answer is no, we are not for sale and never will be. I'm sure JYD will agree (unless the $ figure gets over 1 mil! ....then JYD is out of here! :chuckles: )

We have worked very hard to keep these forums free to the members..... and the members free of being "tied down" by sponsors. Any vendor can be discussed here any time. We don't have "sponsors"....we have "Advertisers".

At present, we have a few years of funds "in the bank" to keep us alive. That is if we don't take another dollar from this point on. None of the Administrators or JYD or myself make a penny from these forums. So relax...we will be here till the money runs out and I'll pay to keep it going if needed....and FREE. ;mywink;

Vic has given a lot to the knowledge of Mosins over the years. We wish him well and also the forums over there and their members.

Dolk
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

You guys are doing a great job and I'm happy to hear your not for sale. I did not realize this forum didn't rely on donations. I guess that explains why I couldn't find anything about donations. I plan on visiting a lot more and sharing some good pics (finally got DSLR Camera) of my Finnish Collection.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ten million cash, I need enough money to pull a fade and stay that way. My friends find out I have that kind of money on hand and blowing town fast would be the only option :chuckles: We aren't going anywhere, I understand that some of the people affiliated with the new owners at the other place are not firearms friendly. There are important body appendages I would part with before associating with such people.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Ten million cash, I need enough money to pull a fade and stay that way. My friends find out I have that kind of money on hand and blowing town fast would be the only option :chuckles: We aren't going anywhere, I understand that some of the people affiliated with the new owners at the other place are not firearms friendly. There are important body appendages I would part with before associating with such people.
:D :thumbsup: Good to know RMNF is safe and in good hands.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Great to hear that RMNF won't be considering a change like that. This is certainly my favorite place on the interwebz. I like GB just fine and all, lots of great folks over there too but there's something just a bit different and more homey feeling about RMNF.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:pointup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I like gunboards WTS forum. I hope they don't screw that up.

+1 there....Those sellers will come over....Just like SpongeMonkey who I just bought some goodies from. Package came yesterday. Thanks!
...ps...shrink that avatar! That monkey SCARY! :chuckles:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

"For collectors, by collectors"

Corporations buy companies because they see a way to squeeze money out of the system. Where will it come from?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

A lot of us are members of both boards, but I typically come here for discussion, and answers. I have seen too many threads get out of hand on GB, that sort of stuff isn't tolerated here.