1943 Tikka 91/30 Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JoeZ

1943 Tikka 91/30 Question

Post by JoeZ »

I have a line on what I believe is a 1943 Tikka. My question is: If the bolt is non matching numbers, does that de-value it? The price seems right, but I don't want to end up with something if my money would have been better spent elsewhere.
Thanks for any advice.
Joe
NLMosin

Re: 1943 Tikka 91/30 Question

Post by NLMosin »

IMHO..I dont want to speak for anyone else... Spanish Civil War and Chinese Mosins are the only ones where I'd say mismatch is ok. Beyond that the goal is for matching first. I have mismatches, but would have preffered matching. Again my two cents..... :2cents:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

In my opinion, that bolt should match.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The Finns are known to recycle parts on 91/30 rebuilds which most of the Tikka 91/30 (M30) rifles are. The bolt is likely a donor from a bin of parts and serial numbers for them are common not to match or be gone altogether.

Here's mine for a comparison... It's a mixmaster, and a hell of a fine shooter with a superb trigger. Very proud to own this one.

FrankenTikka :pointleft:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Depends on price, I personally would not care about the non match bolt knowing from experience what a treat these rifles are. The Finn rebuilt Tikka 91/30 is the finest 91/30 ever made. Best shooter, best fit and finish, just a shorter version of the Tikka M91, or the Tikka M39, and we know what nice rifles both of them are.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Westy

Post by Westy »

We did mix and match parts, to make the gun work properly, repair it and so on. A lot of mosins were taken when we gained our independence, then we bought a lot from Germany after the first world war. Then we also replenished our stocks with war booty during the winter war. All these guns were repaired and refitted so to find a matching gun is going to be next to impossible.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Westy wrote:We did mix and match parts, to make the gun work properly, repair it and so on. A lot of mosins were taken when we gained our independence, then we bought a lot from Germany after the first world war. Then we also replenished our stocks with war booty during the winter war. All these guns were repaired and refitted so to find a matching gun is going to be next to impossible.
I think we have a new member from Finland. Welcome Westy happy to have you. Any input on Finnish rifles is much appreciated.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Westy

Post by Westy »

Thanks, yes I'm from Vaasa on the west coast of Finland. It's only recently when I bought my Westinghouse Mosin that I started to read up on them. They have a big reputation here as they were one of the instruments for our independence. A lot of them were bought and used in the civil guard for shooting practice and to provide food. One little thing is that the caliber here is called 7,62x53R, as to why is up for debate. Some say that it was so that if a rifle fell into Russian hands they could not use it as Russian ammo wouldn't fit but we did also "resupply" in the field so I think that would be counter productive.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Tikka and the Finns only made complete 91/30's for two years on their own using used receivers and parts along with parts they made themselves 1943 and 1944. These were complete rifles made by themselves alone using the above mentioned parts. There fore I would say they above all Finnish rifles should if possible have matched parts and most of what I have seen are in excellent shape and all matching or at least Finn matched to the bolt. They can have mismatched parts other than the bolt but all or most of what I have seen are as I said matching and in excellent shape. In the last year or two I have sold a dozen or more liquidating Kevin Carney's collection and they all had like new condition and matching numbers as far as the bolts went with pristine bores.
These rifles are among the best shooting 91/30's I have ever shot and usually are in Finn made stocks and have a sprinkle of Finn made parts like cocking pieces with Sako markings on them. They can come in Hex or Round receivers again because the Finn's used Soviet made parts in that case.
A general statement of yes most Finn rifles can have mismatched number on them is acceptable but those two years they made complete rifles is not what I have seen nor is it to me a true statement of fact in what we see over here. I have seen a number of these two years 1943 or 1944 Finnish made 91/30's without bolts or being sold as stripped actions so I would not for sure say that a mismatched bolt would be accepted by me without a major lowering of the price.
We all operate on our own standards and our own experiences so I comment on this using them and what I have read and observed over the years. Keeping in mind I don't spend my money on rifles you choose to buy so the choices are entirely up to the buyer and I can only share my knowledge and experience with those who choose to listen. It also comes to mind that I just sold a 1943 Tikka 91/30 barrel that had never been even mounted on a receive for $60 not long ago further reminds me of the parts Kevin alone had in his collection. I have not doubt that if I cared to I could build a 91/30 1943 or 1944 Tikka with just the parts I know Kevin had but for obvious reasons will never do that. Just not in my DNA or principles at my advanced age, 72 later this month and I never planned to live this long for sure. So as I said those 2 years the Finnish people made their own 91/30's are the only two Finn rifles I wou;ld really want matching parts as least as far as the bolt and action. Bill
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

Thanks Bill. Makes me feel a bit better about not getting it.
Joe
Westy

Post by Westy »

Many had replacement parts that were renumbered, bolts for example. If you want to chase matching numbers remember barrel. Bolt, magazine and buttplate. I still maintain that matching numbers are nice but not essential on these war time tools.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I never saw Joe where you mentioned the price. Only that you didn't get it. I think the concensus here is that a Finn Tikka 91/30 would still be a great find even mis-matched IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT.
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

OK. Price was 250. I had taken a break from my hunt for Mosins for a few months and just recently started seriously looking again. I was really back and forth about that one, and in my hesitation, someone bought it. And.....I didn't have my Mosin cash ready to go. A 250.00 withdrawl would have raised eyebrows. Lesson learned there. As soon as it was sold, I was really kicking myself, then was ok with it, then kicking myself again. In all honesty, I would feel better spending a bit more and at least getting a bolt/receiver matching.
I did manage to snap up 880 rounds yesterday for 120.00 so....like a true addict, I feel better about myself again.

Joe
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Great ammo buy! Going much higher around here!

Westy I have many mismatched Finns including M27's and others, but when in the US that series of Finn made 91/30's (1943 and 1944) appear they are usually pristine and at least Finn matched to the bolt and receiver. If they are not I would look elsewhere to buy. I know you don't live in the US so you may not realize that and is why I contradicted you. Your general statement is 100% true but not here in that series hence the disagreement between our posts. Hope you do not take affront! There are very few posters from Finland on this forum and we can use feedback from over there. Best Regards Bill
Westy

Post by Westy »

No harm no foul Bill, I'm just amazed that there seem to be matching numbers easily available over there. Maybe we shipped the good stuff [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Hahahahha! OK I will entertain that possibility? A smiling Bill says. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Westy wrote:No harm no foul Bill, I'm just amazed that there seem to be matching numbers easily available over there. Maybe we shipped the good stuff [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES].
You shipped some unissued ones in the mix. I found one like that from a dealer here back in '06, then while packing it he dropped it splitting of the splice on the buttstock and damaging the front sight. He sent me the rifle for free as an apology.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Finnishms_2018

Post by Finnishms_2018 »

What are u guys thoughts on this M30 high wall round Receiver.
I just got this bad boy and want to know skittle More about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Finnishms_2018 wrote:What are u guys thoughts on this M30 high wall round Receiver.
I just got this bad boy and want to know skittle More about it.
It's a 1944 Tikka Round likely built post war that either someone went crazy with some Tru Oil or the lighting is making it seem they did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Finnishms_2018

Post by Finnishms_2018 »

I did just oil it before it when into the safe. The stock is really glossy, Which I’m not to fond of. How many Tikka M30s have a high wall Receiver?? I can’t find a lot of details about this rifle.