Pu scope matches barrel shank but not mount?

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jvc66

Pu scope matches barrel shank but not mount?

Post by jvc66 »

Hi guys i have been searching for a pu for a while to start my mosin collection and just picked one up this past weekend. I cant wait to get it out to the range and run a few rounds through it!

But for my question, the rifle is a 1943 izhevsk with all matching serial numbers of TA3033. The mount also has an electro penciled number matching it to the rifle but the serial number on the mount that is supposed to represent the scope (9312045) does not match the actual serial number on the scope (85162). What I find interesting it that the serial number on the scope matches the stamped number on the barrel shank?

Could this have been done during the rearsenaling or would it be a fake?

http://s543.photobucket.com/user/capri_ ... /1943%20PU

For pictures^^^
Thank you!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Pu scope matches barrel shank but not mount?

Post by Darryl »

No way to tell if it is real or not.....not without photos of the import marks.

Parts could be real and put together from real parts. But if it has the proper import marks, AND the parts are all "REAL", then it is probably genuine.

Show us the import marks, or at least spell them out here.

Dolk

PS: probably all done during the refurbishment process at the arsenals in Russia, or Ukraine.
jvc66

Post by jvc66 »

Thanks for the response dolk. I snapped a couple pictures to show you guys. From everything I researched before buying it looks all original to me but you guys are the experts! The only thing that makes me question it would be the serial number stamped on the shank for the scope
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

GROUP WEST KNOX TN M91-30 762X54R RUSSIA
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
jvc66

Post by jvc66 »

NLMosin wrote:GROUP WEST KNOX TN M91-30 762X54R RUSSIA
Is that not a reputable importer?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

jvc66 wrote:
Reputable......yes

That importer did not import snipers into the US. Unless the rifle has "Made in Russia" with a circle with a T inside of it. Not sure about Molots, They may have imported Molots, but they would have Molot on the rifle some place.

Only one who imported snipers that put the import mark on the barrel only was CAI.

Questionable rifle, would have to see a lot more photos to know for sure. Could be a re-sniper also.

It looks to me like the barrel shank has been "cleaned (ground) on the left side just above the wood. Some of the photos indicate a "flat spot" (from grinding) on the receiver just behind the barrel shank. Without more photos of the left side of the shank and receiver, I wouldn't want to say for sure. This could be either from the scope scope or mount or both being replaced at refurbishment, or could have been done "if" it was re-snipered by someone here in the US.

There were only about 4 different people importing (or groups) that imported snipers into the US.

app.php/page/67

Early century (CAI)
RGUNS
Molots
Tulsky (T inside a circle or "Made in Russia" (and a few other unique marks.

Their marking have to show somewhere on the rifle to be a correct PU sniper rifle.

This does not include snipers coming out of Poland, Yugoslavia and so on, but they are very unique and recognizable signature to them.

Dolk
jvc66

Post by jvc66 »

dolk wrote:
jvc66 wrote:
Reputable......yes

That importer did not import snipers into the US. Unless the rifle has "Made in Russia" with a circle with a T inside of it. Not sure about Molots, They may have imported Molots, but they would have Molot on the rifle some place.

Only one who imported snipers that put the import mark on the barrel only was CAI.

Questionable rifle, would have to see a lot more photos to know for sure. Could be a re-sniper also.

It looks to me like the barrel shank has been "cleaned (ground) on the left side just above the wood. Some of the photos indicate a "flat spot" (from grinding) on the receiver just behind the barrel shank. Without more photos of the left side of the shank and receiver, I wouldn't want to say for sure. This could be either from the scope scope or mount or both being replaced at refurbishment, or could have been done "if" it was re-snipered by someone here in the US.

There were only about 4 different people importing (or groups) that imported snipers into the US.

app.php/page/67

Early century (CAI)
RGUNS
Molots
Tulsky (T inside a circle or "Made in Russia" (and a few other unique marks.

Their marking have to show somewhere on the rifle to be a correct PU sniper rifle.

This does not include snipers coming out of Poland, Yugoslavia and so on, but they are very unique and recognizable signature to them.

Dolk

I will get you some more detailed pictures later today to figure this out once and for all. I thought that it was possibly ground and a new scope was applied during the rearsanaling since the mount does match the numbers on the rifle. The scope does seem to be genuine from the research that I have done with the prefix of the NOB (Russian Looking B symbol) and believe it is also a 43'. All in all hoping it was just a rearsanal fix and not someones "re-sniper" which would keep me up all night.

Thanks for all the help so far there is still a ton to learn about these