28/30 civilian modell

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Sako75

28/30 civilian modell

Post by Sako75 »

Hi, I just joined the board, but i have been reading this forum for many years. After some reading on internet i think that i have a
image.jpeg
finn 28/30 civilian modell. I have never seen this modell before on your forum. Anyone who nows if it is the civil modell?

Regards Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 28/30 civilian modell

Post by Darryl »

Never seen a "civilian Model"
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Yes. Yours is a Civilian Sales, or Civilian Purchase M28/30. This is a rare variant-congratulations!!!
It has the correct stamps and is within the specified serial range designated for them.

Unfortunately, someone has drilled and tapped the receiver for the scope (is that a Valmet scope?) and bent the bolt backward. I don't think any of them were configured in this manner from the factory.

This is still a fantastic rifle I'd be proud to own, though!!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Cool find
Tredegar

Post by Tredegar »

A customized Mosin. NOT Bubbaized.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Not sure when or where (are you in the US?) it was D&Ted but it has hurt is collectors value. There was one sold about a year ago and it sold for around $5000. The bubba modifications will turn a lot of collectors away.

Still a rare rifle and cool find.
Kollaa kestää
Sako75

Post by Sako75 »

I was affraid that the modifications wasn't original, i have no idea when they were made but the scope is vintage. The markings i found on it is. CERTAP 4 1/2 C.P Goerz Berlin.
I live in Swede but i got hold of the rifle in Finland...so i think the modifications were made there. Haven't decided if I will hang on to it or try to sell it and get a 100% original instead. But it's a really nice rifle to shoot :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I am no scope expert, but that scope sure looks vintage to me. It is possible a civilian bought the rifle many years ago and had a scope put on it. It is still a cool gun. I like the vintage scope too. It would be interesting to see if the scope is manufactured about the same time as the gun.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Really cool. Never seen a civilian sales rifle, only heard of them. I speculate that someone purchased the rifle and then had the scope mounted either right away or at some point during ownership. I agree that some collectors would be turned off by the modifications... you cannot call it bubba though because this is a civilian sales rifle AND was likely done during a time period where the rifle would be considered modern still. Think of your modern hunting rifles. If it doesn't come with a scope and you have a gunsmith mount one, do you consider it a bubba rifle? I think others would be very interested in the rifle. Too bad you don't have the US market to sell it in.

Also, that bolt was not bent. It was cut and welded, possibly with an different handle as it looks flatter and wider than a standard one to me.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It looks like a very desirable rifle to me. Just as it sits.
coondawg

Post by coondawg »

THAT IS JUST PRETTY COOL. I'VE ALWAYS WANTED A CIVILIAN MODEL.
target

Post by target »

Agreed. This is no different than the thousands of Marlin lever guns that were drilled and tapped for optics back then. We look at it as sort of a bummer but this was a hunting/target rifle that never served in any military capacity.

Very cool I would personally keep that and enjoy it and try to see what that rifle and scope combo can do at the range.