Fess up, anyone win this antique M91/38 auction?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum

Fess up, anyone win this antique M91/38 auction?

Post by WWW »

It wasn't listed correctly or it might have gotten more attention.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =542926537
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Fess up, anyone win this antique M91/38 auction?

Post by Miller Tyme »

Nope, saw it but I have a 91/38 already.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Wow $705 shipped, that's good to hear unless you're on the hunt for one. Got one three years ago (not antique) for $325 and thought I paid too much.

Shameless plug
IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1906.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

A sniper price for a cut-down M-91. It was not me...
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Nope...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, right, you wait for me to pay that and you best be prepared to wait until the sun explodes, 'cause it ain't happening.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I have a few already... Too rich for me.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

What no grey blanket?? :roll: :wink:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.

Post by WWW »

Well, I guess I feel even better about my $500 M91/38 then. lol

Other than being an antique (1898), what else did it have going for it? Looks like a Czech stock (?), so other than being in good shape, that's nothing special.

More than one person really needed (wanted) a 91/38 apparently.
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Dam. I have a hard time even getting "retail" at times when I sell.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I was watching that one (I watch them all) :). And it got the attention from those who are in the market for them.

Two relatively new buyers having a bidding war. Beautiful gun, 1898 Izhevsk, not so remarkable new Czech M-44 stock. Way, way over paid for that one. But that's what happens when two guys decide it's theirs and not the other guys. Same thing happened to a matching Hungarian M-44. Two guys duked it out to a $471 final price. Nothing really special other than a solid gun that matched. Last night was crazy and no full moon. I've learned to stay away from Sunday nights. And I cringe when I see an (NR) in the bidding :x
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

No. But to each, his own.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Lots of craziness going on at gunbroker lately
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I love a bidding war, when it's my own shit selling, not so much when I want to buy something. New bidders are fine so long as they pay, I find that 98% of them on my auctions do. I have had people open accounts just to buy something off my list.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You guys saying this isn't anything special are spoiled rotten. Think about the guy that has only a few rifles, maybe more common refurbs and makes a sacrifice to buy this and then has to watch it being called not so remarkable. Personally I think it is quite nice and remarkable. Worth the price? Yes, to the new owner. It ain't me by the way.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Exactly. I'd have to save my pennies for that one, but it is at the top of "pile" of M91/38's. In a few years, you all will be crying wondering why you didn't pay that for that rifle! One thing about collectibles (most of the time), they always gain in value. This one will to in time. And when it does, it will be a fantastic example of a M91/38.

Post by WWW »

bunkysdad wrote:You guys saying this isn't anything special are spoiled rotten. Think about the guy that has only a few rifles, maybe more common refurbs and makes a sacrifice to buy this and then has to watch it being called not so remarkable. Personally I think it is quite nice and remarkable. Worth the price? Yes, to the new owner. It ain't me by the way.
I don't disagree, which is why I asked the question. I am here to learn and I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything, and it means my purchase just became a better deal too apparently, imho. Personally, I would love it if mine was an antique, but it isn't. I would also love it if it had any of the other *more desirable traits, ie. extraordinary marks, etc. A Czech stock by itself, is not something that adds to the value of a 91/38, as I understand it. I fully understand the antique receiver adding value. How many 91/38's are there out in the wild? No one knows, but as far as we all know, not many. Supply and demand is at work here. If you don't get one soon, I think it is very likely the price will be higher later.

I would like to add, I "overpaid" for my 91/38 according to some, and it doesn't bother me. I'm ok with that. I understand value is "relative" and subject to opinion. I also wouldn't pay $230+/- for a common refurb now, but that is what a lot of buyers entering the Mosin market are going to pay in this market now after shipping, or transfer fees, or taxes, or whatever. This is a good thing for those who already have their collections, because you or your heirs will make a killing later. :wink:
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I agree that the price was a little high but it was nice and someone added a Mosin they really wanted to their collection. Sure it is a refurb; but a somewhat rare variation not related to the modern refurbs and now generally attributed to Bulgaria. (So what we have been calling a "Czech Stock" may more accurately be called a "Bulgarian Stock." )

Anyway I have overpaid for a few Mosins too - but wouldn't sell them for what I paid and I would rather have something unique like a 91/38 than 3 of the new refurbs. And it looks like so did they buyer. Good for him.

That is what is so nice about Mosin collecting; we each can get into our own preferences and be quite happy.
thughes

Post by thughes »

I look at it this way: Bubba ain't paying that much for an old relic. Pretty safe to say that whoever paid that price won't be ceracoating the metal in FDE and dropping her into an Archangel stock. ;mywink;
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

bunkysdad wrote:You guys saying this isn't anything special are spoiled rotten. Think about the guy that has only a few rifles, maybe more common refurbs and makes a sacrifice to buy this and then has to watch it being called not so remarkable. Personally I think it is quite nice and remarkable. Worth the price? Yes, to the new owner. It ain't me by the way.
Whoa Nelly... I indicated that the stock was not remarkable, and it isn't - otherwise a beautiful gun. For that kind of money, you would at least want an M-91 stock. I wouldn't say that I am spoiled rotten. I would say that I know what these are worth and that there are different levels of collectability within the 91/38 Genre. And I would say that every time there is an auction like this the value of these guns is reset higher than it normally would have, making it even more difficult for newer enthusiasts to enter the market.