Paying too much !

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Witchdoctor

Paying too much !

Post by Witchdoctor »

Hello folks, Doc here again newbie being a pain with questions.... lol as I stated earlier in a different discussion after I get my 3rd Izhevsk 91/30 I'll be looking to add my next one...I have been purchasing one about every 5 to 6 weeks...going to choose between two just so I can have an option looking for the right price which is what I'd like some feedback on possibly. I will be looking at an 1891/30 or a M44 carbine and so I don't get hosed like to get a range of what these may go for (from this to that ) just an approximate, I am looking in line and at local dealers but would like some honest opinions from the ones who are in the know so to speak.
NLMosin

Re: Paying too much !

Post by NLMosin »

Google 'online gun auctions' and you'll find a few sites. Watch to see what they SELL for, not what their starting price or buy now price is...that should get you in the ball park. From there you could expand your research to the gun shows and LGS in your area. With such a variety of years, models, and unique features its hard to put a ballpark on anything but the garden variety '43 91/30's and M44's.

But before you buy 25 shoot the ones you have. You think youre in love now.... :chuckles:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

On a site like Gunbroker, you can still find a few M91/30s with starting bids under $200 from time to time. Not many.

If you do not have an FFL3 (Curio and Relic), then factor in transfer costs at your local gun shop in addition to shipping.

In my opinion, approx $200 is the range for 1943-1944 M91/30s. The prices being asked for any other year are too high, in my opinion and the asking prices for ex-Dragoons on-line are ludicrous, which is why they are not selling. I think that anything much over $250 for a non-42-44 refurb is too much.

Someone more knowledgeable will have to speak to M44s and local gun shop prices.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Buying from local shops is fine but you increase your shopping opportunities greatly if you shop online through forums as this, gunbroker and such. If you are buying a C&R eligible firearm every month consider getting a C&R License.

But on to prices....

M91
Nothing beats the original & any serious collector needs at least one. $300 and up... You can still get Remington, New England Westinghouse, Tula, Izhevsk with [SA] influence if you shop a bit. Chatellerault and Sestroryetsk require a bit more $$$.

91/30
Anything under $200 is a fair price for a 91/30 refurb in today's market. For a few bucks more consider buying an [SA] Finned example for around the $300 range. Also don't be afraid to pay a few $$ extra for unique features like multiple dates, ex-sniper, early import, SCW, etc...

M38
$300 is the starting benchmark for these & they can go to $400. Stay in the $300 range unless it's a rare year or has other unique features.

M44
Again... $300+ is the range for these. Remember that Poland, Hungary, Romania & China (Type53) made these too. But if your gonna spend this much, get the M38.

FINNISH
Strongly consider anything from Finland; M24, M27, M28, M28/30, M91 and of course you need at least one M39.

Others
91/59, 91/38 A Sniper version... And so on. Stay away from Bubba guns, especially snipers.

Again; For what your buying I strongly recommend getting a C&R.

Good Luck!
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Thanks for the advice and info too...I am very strongly considering a C&R...I've downloaded the forms and was looking to speak to someone who may have gotten one not too long ago to ask if there are any special or specific things I may need to know prior to applying.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

There are all sorts of guides on the web that can help you fill out the application. It is not a big deal. Just dot all your I's and cross all you t's
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The one important thing to remember with a C&R license is to not let it drain your bank account. More than one collector has run amuck with it and ended up not only broke but divorced and ended up selling everything to buy bread and peanut butter.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Gotcha...yep I could see how someone could possibly do that... but I can't let that happen... have a wife who is only 51, disabled and has dementia and going too crazy is not an option for me being the one she depends on...just want to be able to save from xfer fees and get any discounts that may be available.
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

I am fortunate she does support my newly found hobby.
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

But enough about that....I have gotten more enjoyment from the mosins than any of my modern firearms I have...didn't realize how much till I bought my first one for my son this past Christmas... I went back and got one for myself after not being able to put his down even before I got it wrapped.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Try to remember the old addage. Quality is better than quantity.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There is no right price, if you want something bad enough you will pay the asking price if you have it to pay. That's the difference between a true collector and somebody who is in it just for an investment. I never gave a rats ass what something cost if I wanted it, if I wasn't serious about it, or I had three already then I dickered, or walked away. I never invested in firearms, I am a collector, I am far more interested in owning a small piece of history than in what it will be worth in 20 years. I never bought anything in any of my collecting hobby's with the idea that I can make a killing selling it one day. If I want to invest my money I will buy something dead and uninteresting like gold ingots. I have overpaid for things that I wanted in the past, years later these items are selling for a lot more than my overpayment, so what, I underpaid for a lot of things also, even got milsurps for free. I would have overpaid for them all if I had to, because I am a collector
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

You are absolutely right...I guess that's really how I feel as well and I guess I have already done that very thing...no I'm not looking to ever sell either I just like the weapons.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Like you (and many here), I started with refurbs but then I discovered M91s. That's went I went nuts and spent some serious money.

Before you go too far, get educated here and on other sites about Mosins and all the variations and decide where you want to go. For the harder to find ones, I found that auctions were the best opportunity. But if you go that way, place your maximum bid and don't look at it until it is over. You won't pay the maximum bid unless others bid the starting price up.

If you get in a bidding war, you are likely to be sorry. I'm speaking from experience.

Good luck and have fun.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I got my C&R last year and it has saved me all the fees of shipping to an FFL01 and the hassle that I was having just connecting with him. You will have to keep a bound book of all your purchases, sellers info, reciepts, etc.

It did open the flood gates for me though. I bought two dozen in the last year or so alone. For me my goal is to collect examples of different models and models from different countries. Rongo's post lists a few of the varieties. Thats a good starting point. Look at my sig below and you'll see a 'smathering' of variety. Some guys focus on M44's or SCW (Spanish Civil War) mosins. You'll find you favorites. Enjoy!!
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

I don't have a C & R license yet, but I still keep a bound book. Helps me keep track of stuff and can provide some legal protection if you dispose of a firearm and it is later found at a crime scene.

As for me, how much is too much is subjective. Unless its something really special, anything over $500 for a milsurp rifle is on the expensive side. The older and more historic, the more interested I am. One of my friends has an 1892 Lebel rifle that I could probably buy off him. He also has a bunch of nice .303 Lee Enfields that I'm interested in. Unless condition is really bad (which knowing him it won't be), I'd choose the Lebel.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

You are going to end up with a closet full anyway, so just buy them for the best price you can find.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Just try to keep a little money hidden back because if you do look enough you will find one that cries out to you a5 a good price and it is a bummer to miss it from lack of preparation. Best of luck in the hunt.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Watch estate sales, take a drive to out of state gun shows. Use your C&R, or have them transferred to your FFL.

Look into a C&R.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

redeuce wrote:Try to remember the old addage. Quality is better than quantity.
But when you have all the quality, it's time to start working on Quantity!!! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: