Hex vs round ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Witchdoctor

Hex vs round ?

Post by Witchdoctor »

Hello all...once again new to the forum and just into the mosin collecting ( will be other miksurps too ) I will add a couple of hex receiver 91/30's to my collection, have two round ones and another on the way in two weeks...I have read different articles/posts etc. on the different receivers...is the hex that much better in quality/performance than the round or is it just that a little more effort and time went into the manufacturing process, I still want a couple no matter the info I get but just curious.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Hex vs round ?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mosin receiver when through many small changes over it's lifetime, "hex" , " round", high wall, low wall, and so on. They all perform the same task the same way no matter the changes, these changes were made to facilitate production, barrels, triggers, headspace, and so one had the impact on performance. Hex receivers are sought after because these are the older rifles, the ones with the most history in them. 1935 was the last year for Izhevsk to be round, and half of 1936 for Tula. Remington, Chatellerault, Sestroryetsk, Westinghouse will all be "hex" receivers as they did not see production past the Great War. All the Chinese, and Soviet buffer state made Mosins will be round receiver as these were all made post WW2.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Thank you very much for the info... It does concur what I've read so far, out of the two round I have at present, one is a high and other is a low wall so I do have different types with them already, will be adding hex to collection as I want a variety of types and just the fact that I have a severe case of mosinitus... lol
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

If you are serious about collecting do your research and know what to spend your hard earned money on. There is a list somewhere on the ole interwebs that rates them by desirability. I try to steer clear of the ones with the highest production numbers and look for weird markings and different models and countries.

The most important thing to watch out for is the 'story' the seller is tellin. We've heard some real dooseys! :wink: If it was Vasily Zaytsev's backup sniper rifle he had better show you a picture of Vasily himself pointing to the serial number!! :2cents:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Thanks for the info...I am very serious about collecting and you are correct now that I have been doing research and getting advice from folks like yourself I am getting more informed on what to look for... my third I'll get soon has unusual markings which I'll post pics when I get it.
B24

Post by B24 »

Like NLMosin said,do your homework. I got my first almost 3 years ago and I'm now looking for number 11. Be selective, they are all different to some degree and each has a story to tell.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Other than the historical significance and cool factor, all the Mosin receivers were of the same functional quality and did what they were designed to do very well - perhaps one of the many reasons Finland used the Mosin receivers on virtually all of their rifles. Caution when you talk of desiring hex's though... There are Finn hex's, Imperial Hex's, post Imperial hex's, war year's hex's, M38 hex's, M-44 hex's, 91/38's (all hex), and 91/59 hex's. Choose your poison. They are out there and begging to find new homes :lol:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Loni or Bailey ?
download (1).jpg
download.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Miller Tyme on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Like I said... they were both designed to function the same... :)
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Bailey for me. As far as performance, it all has to do with the barrel, that's where the accuracy comes from. Interesting though, Considered the most accurate by most of us, in making the M-39 the Finns used all hex recievers to make these. Are there any round receiver M-39's? I don't know of any. I need to take my '33 Tula off my living room wall and shoot it against my Sako M-39.......it will be a close contest :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

[quote="steelbuttplate"] Are there any round receiver M-39's? I don't know of any.

Although uncomm if not rare, there are round receiver M39's. I believe there's a couple here on RMNF and a dozen or so over at the boards. I believe the Finns used hex receivers because that's what they had the most of. :2cents:
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

After I pick up my third round should be on the 9th of March I'll be ready to get something different. That will make three Izhevsk 91/30's w/ round receivers. Two have high wall receivers one a low wall, they all are marked differently and mean a lot to me already even though I'm new to the mosin/milsurp deal. Each one has its own history, stories if they could only talk and could have been carried by more then one soldier each, I get a real satisfaction from not just the rifle itself but the possible historic story each could tell makes my imagination run. With that being said I will be looking to get a different type for my fourth be it a hex 91/30 a M44, M39, T53 or whatever and probably get at least two and move to the next. This is the first true hobby I have ever had this much passion for and am glad I found it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ah, what about a nice Finn M39? or the original M1891? 91/38? 91/59? When you set out to build a Mosin collection the best thing to do is set aside room, lots of room. Only the Mauser has more variety's than the Mosin, It can take decades and tens of thousands of dollars but it's a fun ride.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

The 1891/30 is one I have been thinking of or an M44...it's do hard to decide what to search for next. I also wanted to get an empty crate and inquired to be told they were around $200 to $250 each which did include shipping...I got lucky and found one on Craig's list for $35 dollars...the only thing missing I would like to find are the racks which hold and separate the rifles.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

You can make those if you have to.
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

I suppose... I mean I was gonna do that if I couldn't run across someone with a busted crate and intact supports. Would like to find out what material was used to keep them from being damaged that is on the supports...is it some sort of felt, cloth ?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cheap felt type material, they weren't that worried about scratches in the shellac.
Theodore Roosevelt
Witchdoctor

Post by Witchdoctor »

Thank you just trying to keep as original as possible... It looks to be a greyish to tan/Lt. brown in color.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

PM me. I bought a crate last year and it came with an extra separator in it. Would be good to use as template and you can see the felt JYD is talking about... :D
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

NLMosin wrote:If you are serious about collecting do your research and know what to spend your hard earned money on. There is a list somewhere on the ole interwebs that rates them by desirability. I try to steer clear of the ones with the highest production numbers and look for weird markings and different models and countries.

The most important thing to watch out for is the 'story' the seller is tellin. We've heard some real dooseys! :wink: If it was Vasily Zaytsev's backup sniper rifle he had better show you a picture of Vasily himself pointing to the serial number!! :2cents:

http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRarity.htm