91/30 help identifying

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ArmyOfEchoes

91/30 help identifying

Post by ArmyOfEchoes »

Just trying to see who made my gun? Any help appreciated
NLMosin

Re: 91/30 help identifying

Post by NLMosin »

....am I not seeing the pictures or are there no pictures? :shock:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Post reply, then scroll down a bit and hit the add attachments tab. Upload some pics. I am sure we can help.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

ArmyOfEchoes wrote:Just trying to see who made my gun? Any help appreciated
I didn't do it, I don't know who did it I just know I didn't.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
ArmyOfEchoes

Post by ArmyOfEchoes »

Hmm I know I added a pic when I made the thread, but here is one.

ArmyOfEchoes

Post by ArmyOfEchoes »

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It's a 1933 Izhevsk.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ArmyOfEchoes

Post by ArmyOfEchoes »

Is that good or bad? I only paid $110 for it years ago when I lived in CA
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A good price by todays standards, judging by the banner import marking on the side of the receiver you bought it in the late 2000's sometime or sooner. At that time you probably paid too much as 91/30 Soviet refurbished Mosins ran around $85-$90 for the older hex receivers like this one. time has erased any overpayments and added another hundred to it's value, maybe more, the prices seem to climb by the day now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ArmyOfEchoes

Post by ArmyOfEchoes »

Well I thibk it was something lIke $79 but then I paid taxes and was something over $100. It's been too long, but I love the gun
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, they are fun, I didn't start collecting the Soviet refurbs until the mid 2000's, before that I had Finn, and Spanish Civil War Mosins. Like many I got carried away with the cheap prices of the day and hoarded away a lot of them. $55 was the cheapest I paid for a Soviet refurb, if memory serves it was a mid 30's Izhevsk, one of a set of five 91/30's I jumped on when a dealer had a year end clearance sale. I wasn't the only one on the board who was assisting that dealer in cleaning out his gun locker, or I would have bought every one he had. At the time that was a very good price. $79 wasn't too bad a price, at some point the dealers started to realize they could get away with charging $10-$20 extra for the older style hex receiver 91/30's.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

It is always fascinating to me how all the price increases were as a result of somebody saying gee I would rather have a hex receiver and instantly they were there for more money. Gee I would pay for an old dirty gun box and instantly they were paying for what dealers were throwing away and begged me to take earlier. Gee I need an M91 hand guard and now they cost over $100+ if you can find them. Gee I need a couple of M91 cleaning rods and now they are expensive and hard to find and everyone who has them hoards them. Many of our sponsors profit by the knowledge of what we say we need in these forums ever notice that? Life is fun isn't it? Bill
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Capitalism at its best