Classic just dropped the bomb.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
redeuce

Classic just dropped the bomb.

Post by redeuce »

As predicted by many, Classic must first have sold off most of the common, low grade rifles. They now moved on to the good stuff, with new pricing.
Fledge

Re: Classic just dropped the bomb.

Post by Fledge »

Yeah, some of the "options" are getting a little pricey. The problem is that classic is driving the price for the M39's, and that means they are just going to go up.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Burns is the supply and they drive the price, or did, neither does any more, now collectors are driving the price. What will someone pay to own an M39? We find out every week on gunbroker and each higher price becomes the new normal price.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Burns is the supply and they drive the price, or did, neither does any more, now collectors are driving the price. What will someone pay to own an M39? We find out every week on gunbroker and each higher price becomes the new normal price.
Pretty much why I haven't bought any surplus guns in years.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Me neither, I rarely buy today and only when I stumble across something selling to cheap to ignore. I am way to cheap to pay todays prices after having got used to yesterdays.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Velba

Post by Velba »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Me neither, I rarely buy today and only when I stumble across something selling to cheap to ignore. I am way to cheap to pay todays prices after having got used to yesterdays.
Fledge wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Burns is the supply and they drive the price, or did, neither does any more, now collectors are driving the price. What will someone pay to own an M39? We find out every week on gunbroker and each higher price becomes the new normal price.
I might have to stick with collecting from other actual humans in person to be able to afford surplus. Wish I had been born 20 years sooner, would of been able to have a fine collection by now. :cry:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Burns is selling antique m39s on gunbroker again. They seem to be selling quite well. I haven't seen any late date m39s and i want one. I assume all of the late dates at classics will be good quality so I ordered one. I should find out in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Kollaa kestää
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Velba wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Me neither, I rarely buy today and only when I stumble across something selling to cheap to ignore. I am way to cheap to pay todays prices after having got used to yesterdays.
Fledge wrote:
I might have to stick with collecting from other actual humans in person to be able to afford surplus. Wish I had been born 20 years sooner, would of been able to have a fine collection by now. :cry:
Don't you suspect that today's prices might look good in 20 years as well. It is easy to speculate on what you may have done. Twenty years ago, I was too involved with raising two great children to spend a lot of time and money playing with guns. I don't regret it a damn bit; now my fine son is my best gun buddy. My only regret is that my boy fell for Smith and Wessons instead of Mosins and Mausers. He is trying to drag me into wheelguns, and he is making progress. :)
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

Even though I have wanted an M39 for a while I have been holding out on what Classic was offering for the price but today they got me to bite when they dropped what I really wanted in the form of unissued B barrels. Hopping my patience has paid off and can't wait to find out.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

It's still better to pay 400 for a vintage Tac driver with history than twice the price for a plastic money pit of a gun. :soapbox: : Iv'e never lost money on a Mosin, buying cleaning shooting repairing enjoying the thing and probably make a few bucks if I sell. :pointup: I have broke even twice. I think the banks still at 1% on Money markets. mmmmM-39 or more silver? Ammo depot has new copper washed non corrosive Mosin food for 47 cents/round. No, it's .42 cents
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

20 years ago was not the greatest time for collecting milsurps, it was a happy time for sure because we were seeing milsurps that had been blocked from the US market for many years before 1986. 1900 was a great time for milsurp collecting, the entire arsenal of the States war was by then up for grabs on the cheap, the period between the wars was another, economic collapse made milsurps cheap as dirt assuming you had any money to buy them. The 1950's to 1968 was possibly the best time of all. Low prices, freedom to have them sent directly to your home with no FFL, and not much competition as milsurp collectors were fewer in number than today.
Theodore Roosevelt
351mustang65

Post by 351mustang65 »

steelbuttplate wrote: Ammo depot has new copper washed non corrosive Mosin food for 47 cents/round.
I actually just got 600 rounds of non corrosive (MILITARY CLASSIC) for ¢34 a round with free shipping from Brownells by catching what I am pretty sure was a mistake they had made. They did try to cancel my order without telling me but I ended up getting them to honor the deal and the free shipping code so I am set for a little while. Thanks for the heads up though! :thumbsup:
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Re: SA1911a1
I was bitten by the wheel gun bug about a year ago, it's a little more expensive than Mosinitis but the storage is easier.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
target

Post by target »

In the 12 years I have been collecting (Im 26) my collection is now around 80. I buy when I see a good deal or am willing to pay the price they ask which isn't often now days.

I jumped in right at the tail end of affordable surplus rifles and managed a pretty good collection in a darn short time. Amazing to see how the market has turned. Honestly I wish I had picked one country and stuck with it. Either French, Japanese, or British is what I should have focused on. I enjoy my collection and it's variety but I am drawn to the guns of those three nations the most.
dalek

Post by dalek »

IMHO, if you see something in milsurp you want to buy and you can afford and it has a fair price, get it. They are in limited supply by definition. It is easy to keep saying "I refuse to spend $1000 on a G43 or a Garand because in my time I could buy one at the drugstore for a fiver." That time has long gone; limited supply, changing politics, and Bubba the builder made sure of that. I would not be surprised if a hex receiver Mosin ends up worth $1K in 10 years; you can argue they made millions but there were Garands by the millions too and look how much they go for?

Has anyone priced out a STGW 57 recently?

Target, congratulations on being able to start collecting when you were 14
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Easy for me to say it, pass on the high priced stuff, I have enough crap stashed away to start my own museum. I got very carried away back during the Happy Time, for awhile there I had milsurps arriving daily. 20 rifles ( and other shooters) at a time form a single flea market visit was not unusual. So much shit I can't even remember it all, I find things I forgot I had in my own collection all the time. I spent and overspent for things I badly wanted more than once, time has now erased that over spending, current prices even adjusted for inflation are now well over what I paid for pretty much everything. Garands are selling for the amounts they do because of massive demand, there are a lot of Garands around, CMP still has them available, but this is GI Joes rifle, here in the USA they will always be more in demand than any Mosin. The US is the worlds largest consumer of milsurp firearms, and everyone wants the rifle that our boys carried when they walked tall across the world destroying the Nazi's and the Japanese, plus the competition shooters who consider the Garand a necessary tool beyond it's collectability. I have gotten to the point were I am perfectly happy to admire a rifle somebody else spent a fortune on, it's the next generation of collectors turn to live on ramen noodle soup and spend every dime on milsurps . The exotic stuff is interesting to be sure, but I always preferred the ordinary infantry rifles that were carried by the ordinary foot soldier who actually made history. The well worn rifles with all the storys to tell, funny how such rifles are now in demand, back in the day I was ridiculed when I was spotted buying some " beat up piece of shit" again.
Theodore Roosevelt
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Makes me even happier about my purchase of a veteran m39 for less than what classic sells them for. Definitely accurate, though my "plastic" gun still makes it seem like a musket lol can't argue with 3/4MOA @100 yards
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

price is high for my taste. but interesting that they now offer "sneak" ones, never heard about those. but i like the fact they are 60s and 70s production, very interesting.

wish i got into the surplus hobby sooner, would have bought lots of them. not as an investment, but just because i love the history of these things. my M44 i have is not the best of shape or the best of bore, but the history of it fascinates me
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sneak is bullshit, the Finns didn't sneak anything, there was no reason to hide the making of some M39's in the 1960's when they were already producing their AK47 variant. It's just a story made up by dealers to explain the lack of a date on some rifles and make them sound more expensive. The Soviets could have cared less how many bolt rifles the Finns made by that point, whatever the number the Soviets could and did make ten times the amount.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cleanneon98 wrote:Makes me even happier about my purchase of a veteran m39 for less than what classic sells them for. Definitely accurate, though my "plastic" gun still makes it seem like a musket lol can't argue with 3/4MOA @100 yards
Mattel plastic fantastic M16? Remember the M16 is the product of modern space age engineering made by a first world economy in a fully modern production facitity, the M39 is a collection of used 100 year old parts mixed with a few new ones made 40-70 years ago and it still comes close to besting that M16 ( and with commie surplus ammo). Add in wartime production under less than ideal conditions, plus possible wartime use of the rifle and likely years of peacetime use as a training rifle and the feat becomes more impressive. The M39 shouldn't be as accurate a rifle as so many of them are considering all of the above, yet it is anyway, fuckin magic, sometimes a rifle just is.
Theodore Roosevelt