Firing pin question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

Firing pin question

Post by NLMosin »

When I was reassembling the bolt on a 91/30 I just got I noticed that when I line up the groove in the end of the pin with the grooves cut at the arsenal and the pin is flush with the end of the bolt that the spring is completely depressed. I checked how far the pin protrudes with the gauge and it is ok.

But when I dry fire the gun it is noticeably harder to open the bolt. If I adjust the pin a complete turn, again lining up the groove on the back of the bolt, the bolt opens better but the firing pin is not too far out according to the gauge. At the half turn mark the pin passes the test with the gauge but its still hard to open the bolt. Do I have a mismatched pin? Is the spring too long? Any thoughts. Thanks. :vconfused:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Firing pin question

Post by millman »

It is harder to open after you dryfire it because you are recocking the bolt when you pull up on the handle. If the pin is flush on the back and it passes the protrusion test, you are good. A little dab of grease on the cocking cams of the bolt will help to smooth things along.

I found some pics of where you want to add grease. This will help every rifle, and not just those with stiff bolt issues.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Halfway between the .75 and .95 notches is perfecto. Don't worry about lining up the cuts on the back of the bolt......SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

steelbuttplate wrote:Halfway between the .75 and .95 notches is perfecto. Don't worry about lining up the cuts on the back of the bolt......SBP

If you don't line up those cuts the bolt will not go together more than likely so you better at least be aware of them. Bill :?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I line up the scribed marks flush during reassembly, then set the protrusion. Usually, it's very close.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I did not know that Bill, or just never had the problem. I could write a book about stuff I don't know if I had time :bwink: In general, a flush pin with the notches aligned like qz said is where it needs to be, for protrusion. I can't see how it would affect the bolt not opening. Have you tried cussin while you work the bolt? :bigrant: SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I did a bolt video, two bolt videos, both links are here on the board in the information section. Mosin bolts aren't rocket science, if they were then the dumb as a box of rocks commies never would have been able to figure them out much less make them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Bill's right. The oval part of the firing pin goes through the connector they need to be lined up. When the grooves are lined up the firing pin will go through the connector....I think that's what Bill means... :wink:

The reason I asked was because my spring is squashed flat when the end of my firing pin is flush and aligned with the grooves. Makes me think I dont have the original pin to the rifle...which wouldnt be a stretch for a mosin.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.