My $30 Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darkdally

My $30 Mosin

Post by Darkdally »

Hey all, I'm new here! I've always been into guns, and have been particularly fond of the Mosin Nagant for many years now. I've never owned a gun until the other day, because, well the right one just never popped up. Then, the other day, I went shooting with some friends, and one of them pulls this old Mosin from his back seat. Oh how I love that rifle! I asked to hold it, and he handed it over, shrugging, saying how he likes it but it doesn't fire.

He saw how much I liked it, and asked me if I wanted to buy it. I figured even if it didn't work, it was in such great condition that it would still make a neat show piece. He said he'd sell it for 30 bucks, and even through in a box of ammo. It is in very good shape, by the way. It's a 1942, Izhevsk M91/59. There's no cracks or big scratches in the wood, and all the stamps and printing on it are legible. It's by no means mint, but in very good condition for a 73 year old rifle you know. The stock and handguard are polished smooth and still shine, and all the serial numbers on every part of the rifle matche. I liked the idea that I had a piece of WWII history in my hands, unaltered, and exactly the way it was the day it was made, with all of its original pieces. .... but it didn't fire. He said it needed a firing pin and that the bolt had some other problems.

I don't know anything about guns, but I'm good with my hands, so I watched some youtube videos on disassembling the weapon and gave it a go. The bolt was fine, but the firing pin was adjusted way out of whack, no doubt from him failing to fix the problem. I that back in order, and realized the problem was in the trigger. It took a total of 10 minutes to break down the rifle and see that the screw holding the trigger spring was loose. I tightened it, put it back together, readied the weapon, (not loaded of course), pulled the trigger, and *click*. Yeah, that was it, just a loose screw.

I went a couple miles up the mountain into the woods and found a nice spot by a stream and had a great time with my new rifle. It fires smooth, is beautiful, there's nothing like the power of a 7.62 in the package of a carbine as it launches those foot-long muzzle flashes down range, and it only cost me 30 bucks. I'm happy this was my first gun; I've wanted one for the better part of a decade.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: My $30 Mosin

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, a $300 rifle for $30 is a good deal, you understand that the M91/59 is a rare variation of the Mosin? They were built from cut down 91/30 rifles using the M38 as a pattern. The people who built them in 1959 and probably a few years after that knew what they were doing. These tend to have nice triggers, and good accuracy due to the barrel being cut back past the muzzle wear, and also being thicker than the regular carbine barrel. Very nice find.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darkdally

Post by Darkdally »

Though I've been a fan of this rifle for years now, I'm just now learning about it and its technical details. On the barrel shank, just behind the rear sight is the Soviet crest, then behind that 1942, then 1891/59, then the serial number, then the arrow in the triangle which I believe means it's an Izhevsk? I had to use Google to identify it because I'm so new to this, but I thought that meant it was made in 1942... you're saying the 91/59 was designed in '59? I'm just trying to make sense of it.

I am glad to have come across such a great find, and I'd love to learn more about it.
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Welcome too the forum. What a deal..... Mr. Barnum was correct again.....
I'll have to say, "You've really got some will power" when it comes to firearm... I think, that may all change now... I hope you like top ramen and rice...
Isn't the internet a wonderful thing... You've got to love you-tube... I'm just waiting for someone to let me perform brain surgery on them, maybe I could put out an Craigslist; "wanted add".... Then, maybe I'll start posting pic/ videos.... for you guys :D :shock: :D :shock: :D :shock:
like, I said, before I got side tracked, welcome. Damn, $30.00 for a Mosin, only JYD and a few others can remember those kind of prices....
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the madness that is surplus rifle collecting. His loss is your gain. Sometimes people can't be bothered taking the time to figure out the smallest problems, I know I have a few rifles that came to me because of almost exactly the same reason. I have an old model 62 Stevens 22lr semi that my buddy gave me a few years ago. It was tired and he knew I didn't have a semi auto as well as he was doing something for me for all rifles I've fixed up for him. I cleaned it, it was filthy after years of him and the kids running brick after brick of ammo through it with little to no cleaning. It now is a clean well oiled machine that works like a singer sowing machine. Well ok it works like clean well oiled Stevens Model 62 semi auto 22lr. It's been getting a workout lately because I've had a run on varmints around here this year. Killed a nasty possum last night and that's number 10 this year so far along with 2 or 3 coons and maybe 10 skunks.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Welcome to the madness. :D
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

We need pics!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Welcome aboard and congratulations on what sounds like an absolute steal!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The original 1942 Mosin Nagant 91/30 was cut down by ?, ( There is a mystery as to just who did the work ), in or around 1959 to make a carbine length rifle out of it. They are notoriously great shooters and command a premium price. You did very well.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darkdally

Post by Darkdally »

Here's a couple pics of my Mosin. The black on the butt stock in the photo where I'm firing it is just an elastic band that holds extra rounds, by the way. I'd never do anything to alter this rifle lol!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nobody knows for sure who made the 91/59's behind the Iron Curtain, or why they did it. Some people claim this or that but so far as I am currently aware no provenance has been produced ( documentation) Very likely it was another communist make work project intended to make use of unserviceable actions left over from the overall refurb programs that were ongoing at the time. Many 91/30 rifles suffered from cleaning rod wear to the crown of the barrel, so cutting the barrel down to carbine size eliminated this issue and made a serviceable weapon. The commies liked to refurbish and stockpile old weapons with the idea that they could use them to arm communist uprisings in other peoples countries. Problem was a lack of people who wanted to be commies, or not enough of them to matter in other peoples countries, and eventually not enough of them at home either.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darkdally

Post by Darkdally »

Thank you, Junk Yard Dog, for your info in that post. That's the kind of stuff that makes history fun :) Also a big thank you to everyone who welcomed me to the forum. I'm looking forward to learning a lot more about the Mosin Nagant here. I'm really digging the history of the 91/59. I always wanted a Mosin, but never new it was anything but a sniper rifle until I acquired this carbine. Now I'm really intrigued to learn what I can of this particular model. Thanks guys!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Nice fireball!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

WeldonHunter wrote:Welcome to the madness that is surplus rifle collecting. His loss is your gain. Sometimes people can't be bothered taking the time to figure out the smallest problems, I know I have a few rifles that came to me because of almost exactly the same reason. I have an old model 62 Stevens 22lr semi that my buddy gave me a few years ago. It was tired and he knew I didn't have a semi auto as well as he was doing something for me for all rifles I've fixed up for him. I cleaned it, it was filthy after years of him and the kids running brick after brick of ammo through it with little to no cleaning. It now is a clean well oiled machine that works like a singer sowing machine. Well ok it works like clean well oiled Stevens Model 62 semi auto 22lr. It's been getting a workout lately because I've had a run on varmints around here this year. Killed a nasty possum last night and that's number 10 this year so far along with 2 or 3 coons and maybe 10 skunks.
Thought you said 10 drunks.

John
entropy

Post by entropy »

You got me by a buck, my least expensive Mosin was $31, then $35; the 91/59 I had for a while was five times yours.

Watch out; they're like Lays potato chips-one is never enough!

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

one finger john wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Welcome to the madness that is surplus rifle collecting. His loss is your gain. Sometimes people can't be bothered taking the time to figure out the smallest problems, I know I have a few rifles that came to me because of almost exactly the same reason. I have an old model 62 Stevens 22lr semi that my buddy gave me a few years ago. It was tired and he knew I didn't have a semi auto as well as he was doing something for me for all rifles I've fixed up for him. I cleaned it, it was filthy after years of him and the kids running brick after brick of ammo through it with little to no cleaning. It now is a clean well oiled machine that works like a singer sowing machine. Well ok it works like clean well oiled Stevens Model 62 semi auto 22lr. It's been getting a workout lately because I've had a run on varmints around here this year. Killed a nasty possum last night and that's number 10 this year so far along with 2 or 3 coons and maybe 10 skunks.
Thought you said 10 drunks.

John
No I just kick the drunks off the property, lol. I don't shot them, the local sheriff is a friend of mine and though he likes me he'd still have to lock me up if I did that.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Welcome to the forum. You purchased, IMHO, one of the premier Mosins to own. They are beginning to be hard to find. And for $30 it was a steal. I am also impressed that you did your research and then tore into the carbine to find the problem. These Mosins are very simple rifles and easy to diagnose and repair. Parts are as numerous as classic chevy car parts. :thumbsup:
Darkdally

Post by Darkdally »

qz2026 wrote:Welcome to the forum. You purchased, IMHO, one of the premier Mosins to own. They are beginning to be hard to find. And for $30 it was a steal. I am also impressed that you did your research and then tore into the carbine to find the problem. These Mosins are very simple rifles and easy to diagnose and repair. Parts are as numerous as classic chevy car parts. :thumbsup:
I was surprised how simple it was once I got it apart, yes. And once I did, I was dumbfounded as to how simple the trigger assembly was; just a leaf spring basically on the trigger, with a screw holding it in place. I do love the reliable simplicity of a bolt action rifle. Crazy how the previous owner didn't spend the 5 minutes on youtube that I did to learn to disassemble it and fix the problem, but hey - his loss is my gain.

I'm still just beginning to learn about the Mosin Nagant, but I do love this particular model, and am glad it was the one that found me because of its history. I've been reading about the origin of the 91/59, and its mysterious origins intrigue me. It's really neat to have this rifle with no definite purpose, shrouded in speculation. And also I read that they're renowned for their accuracy, which so far I can attest to.

Thanks man, I'm glad to be here.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)